Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #1 
IonBaller07

Starting The "Journey"

Alright as you probably know I have been gathering information on how to breed my bettas, now Im finally putting it into action. Everyone else on the site seems to have some type of epic journy including photos and such so Im starting mine. Over the next few weeks I will keep you updated with my breeding process and progress.

Lets start with the bare tank+ plastic cave formations.

Then with about 5-6 inches of water:

I put in dechlorinator, and a cap of that cycle stuff with some fish flakes to see if I could cycle it, I guess it cant hurt.

Thats just the start tommorrow I will be getting the plants and setting them up, pics when Im finished.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Looks good.Make sure to put in a heater.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #3 
IonBaller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Looks good.Make sure to put in a heater.
Ohh I will, Im going to searcf for one tommorrow, but I have a feeling my local petstore wont have any for under $40-50, I might try walmart.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, walmart would be a good place to look. You could look online but the shipping costs an arm and a leg. Do you have food for your fry? Good luck with the breeding. I'm looking forward to your reports on everything. :)
Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #5 
IonBaller07

I dont have food for them yet, Im deciding what Im going to try to do. I would really like to try that Wardleys for food until they're big enough to eat BBS. But I dont know if I want to take he risk of them not eating it.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can order microworm cultures online and you can make your own vinegar eel culture, according to my betta book. I would type it all out but there is a lot of info to type. It involves using apple cider and a slice of apple. My book doesn't reccommend using liquid fry food because it spoils rather easily. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #7 
IonBaller07

Quote:
You can order microworm cultures online and you can make your own vinegar eel culture, according to my betta book. I would type it all out but there is a lot of info to type. It involves using apple cider and a slice of apple. My book doesn't reccommend using liquid fry food because it spoils rather easily. Hope this helps.
I would love to that but my mom doesnt trust ordering stuff off the internet, she thinks everyone in the world is out to scam me. Ill see if they have any at our pet store but I doubt it. Do you think maybe for a good fry diet I could try egg yolk for the newly hatched, then BBS if they have any here, and then after a week or two some ground up betta pellets?

EDIT: NVM Im going to try making infurosia or watever out of the fruit & veggies in water.

Last edited by IonBaller07; 05-09-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can definitely understand your Mom not wanting to order stuff from the internet.I found some info on using eggyolk.Put a medium sized piece of eggyolk in a dish and smash it up completely.Mix water in it. Put some in an eyedropper and drop it into the tank. I've heard before that a little goes a long way so you don't want to use too much or it will foul your water. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #9 
IonBaller07

Quote:
I can definitely understand your Mom not wanting to order stuff from the internet.I found some info on using eggyolk.Put a medium sized piece of eggyolk in a dish and smash it up completely.Mix water in it. Put some in an eyedropper and drop it into the tank. I've heard before that a little goes a long way so you don't want to use too much or it will foul your water. Hope this helps.
Ok, sounds good, I think a variety of infurosia and egg yolk should do them well enough until they can take bigger food, now I get to go shopping for plants, heater, and such. Pics wwill be up when I get it.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds great. Good luck!