Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #21 
sareena79

usually a few hours, just depends. but yeah my numbers from the tap were almost identical to the tank numbers.
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #22 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
usually a few hours, just depends. but yeah my numbers from the tap were almost identical to the tank numbers.
There isn't too much around that then, hmm.

Cycling is endlessly frustrating so I feel you. Are you using something to cycle? Some people use like, shrimp carcasses and stuff.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #23 
Kithy

Read back and saw you're doing a fish in cycle. That is definitely a little easier at times though it does pose possible risks of getting the fish sick if you're not checking the parameters.

You're only about two weeks in though right? So you're about 1/3 of the way through a cycling process. You should be seeing your ammonia come down while your nitrITES coming up soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #24 
sareena79

yeah Im doing fish in. Im trying very hard to make sure he stays in the safe-zones cuz i love the little booger and Id hate to hurt/kill him. If I notice its high I add a drop or two of my prime then do a partial water change within the next day or so. i've never done this before so I hope Im doing it right....
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #25 
RussellTheShihTzu

Mea culpa! I miswrote about the ammonia. It's *not* regulated. However, nitrites cannot be over 1 ppm when coming from the tap. If your nitrite levels are above 1 ppm, please contact your local water supplier; your health is important.

<< EPA has set an enforceable regulation for nitrite, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 1 mg/L or 1 ppm. (snip) When routine monitoring indicates that nitrite levels are above the MCL, your water supplier must take steps to reduce the amount of nitrite so that it is below that level. Water suppliers must notify their customers as soon as practical, but no later than 24 hours after the system learns of the violation. Additional actions, such as providing alternative drinking water supplies, may be required to prevent serious risks to public health.>>
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #26 
bettaluver14

Wow big conversation going on here yeah my ammonia seems to decrease within 2 days from 4ppm-0ppm. Nitrites have been staying at 0. Nitrates are around 40ppm now. I will check my parameters when I get home from 7-11
I just hope one of the next days I will check and my cycling will be finished!!! *frustration* there's no giving up I've come soon far and waited so long!!
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #27 
Kithy

Sounds like you're super close :D Should totally go out for some awesome dessert when it's officially cycled :3 You have earned it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #28 
RussellTheShihTzu

Cycling a tank is like losing weight: You stay on a plateau and then, suddenly, the pounds (i.e., nitrite, ammonia levels) drop off!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #29 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Cycling a tank is like losing weight: You stay on a plateau and then, suddenly, the pounds (i.e., nitrite, ammonia levels) drop off!
Haha, exactly! You could not be more right!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #30 
sareena79

so question...when I finally do get this thing cycled its gonna be about time to change my filter media (every 4-6wks right?) I have the tetra whisper one that came with my aquaculture 5g tank kit. will I lose my cycle?