Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #21 
Myates

^ Go with the above. If it has reached the body then you will definitely need to treat it rather than just remove it. Once it hits the body it can do some damage, so using both internal and external bacteria medication should help.. don't cut his fins now, as it's already invaded the body so removing the fins won't change that.

:( Hope the little guy pulls through for you
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #22 
Atena

I hope so too. Started him on the kenaplex with the 8pm water change. He was swimming fine and energetic right after the water change. then settles down again inside his cave. We will see how it goes.

If this doesn't work, what is my next step?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #23 
Sakura8

If there is fin left, I'd say cutting it off to prevent it from reaching the body is the next step. But that's a very last resort and if you do want to go that route, we'll walk you through it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it without Finquel to anaesthesize the fish some.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #24 
Atena

This is a photo taken today, I think I might be seeing a little improvement. What do you think?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #25 
Sakura8

No photo is showing up. :(
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #26 
Atena

I don't know why, the photo is my album in this forum. I might need to ask a moderator about that.

Here is a link to the photo: http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=50418

It is in my album (under my profile) under "health".
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #27 
Atena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If there is fin left, I'd say cutting it off to prevent it from reaching the body is the next step. But that's a very last resort and if you do want to go that route, we'll walk you through it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it without Finquel to anaesthesize the fish some.
I found one bottle of Finquel on E-bay, I think I will get some just in case.

I am going to take more photos and post them here with my good camera, can you advise me on weather or not it is too late for the surgery and if it would help, how do I cut around the very top of the tail where I think it has reached the body?

This is really scary, but if it is my last resort I am going to have to do it. I am so worried.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Yes, you can still cut off the black but I'm not sure about cutting off the black that is on the top of his fin. That would require a lot of trimming and to get it all off, you'd have to cut dangerously close to the caudal peduncle (the part of his body where the tail starts).

The risk of this procedure is that, if we don't manage to cut off all the black rot part, then there's that much less fin for it to go through before it gets to his body. You'd have to cut in a V, following the line of the black from the caudal penduncle and back up.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are you currently treating simultaneously with both Kanaplex and Furan 2?

(*Furan 2 / Bifuran / Jungle Fungus Clear all have the same two furan antibiotics.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #30 
Atena

Yes, started to add Kenaplex yesterday. In water only, I do not understand how to do the food dose, I don't have frozen food he would eat so I am at a loss how to do that.