Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #1 
shoutriotgrrrl

Moving?

So my husband and I are moving June 18th from New York to Washington State. We plan on taking about 7 days to get home while doing some site seeing. We have one ten gallon tank and a little 2.5 gallon tank with 2 bettas and nine fish between us. We plan on going through the northern states to get to Washington, but I'm worried it'll get crazy hot in the car while we site see, if we plan on just moving the tanks in the car with us.

I'm more concerned about the two bettas than I am about the tetra and the catfish (not to mean I'm cold hearted, I love all my fish), I'm thinking about shipping them to my mothers house while we make the move and hope that the other fish make it. I like the other fish, but they aren't worth the money trying to get them cross country and I don't wanna bog my mother down with 10 fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My biggest concern is I don't want them to overheat or freeze during our moving process.

Thanks.
shoutriotgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #2 
bannlow2471

Could you find an insulated lunch box that would fit a smallish Kritter Keeper and put one Betta in each? That way you could take them with you into places because people would just think you were carrying a lunch.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
Could you find an insulated lunch box that would fit a smallish Kritter Keeper and put one Betta in each? That way you could take them with you into places because people would just think you were carrying a lunch.
Oh! That's a good idea! We are going out to the badlands in south dakota and looking around, as well as yellowstone. Do you think carrying the lunch box would heat the water up or keep it at a good temperature for them?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #4 
bannlow2471

I think it would keep them at a good temperature and you could use thermal heat packs or cold packs as needed on the outside of the kritter keeper but inside the lunch boxes. It may not be ideal but it seems like it could work. I'd have a fish kit in the car with water conditioner, a turkey baster and maybe one jug at a time of conditioned water and maybe some small electric heaters that you could use as needed in hotel rooms and such.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Take dechlorinated water with you just in case you need to use it. You can keep them in the containers that you bought them in. I believe it not long trip , about 6 hrs. They will be fine. Just make sure you acclimate them to the new water when you put them in the tank. Do you need acclimations instructions?
You can put them in the styrofoam container or cardboard box. You know what as i am writing ..i just saw another post check it out.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=166930

And if your other tank is cycled take the sponge from the filter and put it in a tupperware container filled with tank water to keep the bacteria alive and maintain most of the cycle. So you keep the filter media wet...Take as much of the water out of the tank that you can to transport-but bring a couple of gallons of fresh water from your house to mix the new water from the new place and once you get the tank setup-do a slow acclimation by adding small amounts of the new tank water to his holding container over 30 min or so.

If the two source water are really different it better to start out with smaller water changes -in the 25% range about 3-4 t times a week for the first couple of weeks then 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality.....

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #6 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Take dechlorinated water with you just in case you need to use it. You can keep them in the containers that you bought them in. I believe it not long trip , about 6 hrs. They will be fine. Just make sure you acclimate them to the new water when you put them in the tank. Do you need acclimations instructions?
You can put them in the styrofoam container or cardboard box. You know what as i am writing ..i just saw another post check it out.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=166930

And if your other tank is cycled take the sponge from the filter and put it in a tupperware container filled with tank water to keep the bacteria alive and maintain most of the cycle. So you keep the filter media wet...Take as much of the water out of the tank that you can to transport-but bring a couple of gallons of fresh water from your house to mix the new water from the new place and once you get the tank setup-do a slow acclimation by adding small amounts of the new tank water to his holding container over 30 min or so.

If the two source water are really different it better to start out with smaller water changes -in the 25% range about 3-4 t times a week for the first couple of weeks then 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality.....
I am moving to Washington State, not DC. I wish the trip was that much shorter! We would be able to move this fish no problem. We are taking 7 days to site see while we travel.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
I think it would keep them at a good temperature and you could use thermal heat packs or cold packs as needed on the outside of the kritter keeper but inside the lunch boxes. It may not be ideal but it seems like it could work. I'd have a fish kit in the car with water conditioner, a turkey baster and maybe one jug at a time of conditioned water and maybe some small electric heaters that you could use as needed in hotel rooms and such.
I was speaking with my mom and she suggested getting a big cooler, packing it with the fish in the containers we bought them in, packing it so they don't move around much and keep some cold packs in there to keep it nice and cool. Doing that we would have to do water changes every night when we get to the new hotel, but do you think this is feasible?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

You have to do it anyway. The containers you bought them are fine. In those little container you need to do daily water changes any way, so you really don't have another choice for your bettas. I was thinking if you can have enough water for them with you, so you don't use water from another source in case it bad or really different. You don't want to stress them out with all different ph or ammonia in the tap water which is happened a lot. And then when you come to the destination acclimate really really slowly taking ....like i wrote above. the Cardboard box put wrap towels OR cloth around to keep them steady. Wow 7 days it long time.
Also it good idea to check the water in your new place , you can even take it to the pet store they will do it for free. Just ask them actual readings instead of saying that it fine
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote