Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #31 
LittleBlueFishlets

I am sorry to hear that you're still having problems with this!

Klonopin (clonazepam) is used to treat epilepsy and anxiety. I don't think it's used for Bettas. (Not even ones that are neurotic, like my tail biter!).....

Do you mean Kanaplex (kanamycin)?

I found this on the Seachem website. Someone asked how to use it to treat fin rot. This is Seachem's reply:
"Thank you for using Kanaplex and for your question regarding its use. Kanaplex is very effective antibiotic proven to treat many fungal and bacterial infections. Kanaplex can be utilized in two different manners, depending upon the needs of individual fish. For example, if a fish is exhibiting symptoms of an internal bacterial infection, such as hemorrhagic septicemia, then Kanaplex can be mixed with food to ensure that the medication in internalized.

Kanaplex is also quite effective in treating external bacterial infections and in cases where food is refused. Because Kanaplex is very water soluble and easily absorbed through the gills, dosing it directly to the water is equally as effective. In your case, dosing the medication directly to the water should be sufficient. Best of luck to you!"

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3953
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #32 
Xaltd1

Awesome... yes, I'm talking about Kanaplex. I tried to get it into food for the whole tank, but failed. The bettas just spat out the food I mixed it with!
I have Marycin Two as well; which is better?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #33 
Xaltd1

Sounds like I need the Klonopin!!!!!!!!!!
I now have a little graveyard in my garden. I have to decide which perennial flowers to plant there. If their little bodies give nourishment to flowers, they are not lost entirely.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #34 
LittleBlueFishlets

Kanaplex is probably better. I've read that some bacteria is resistant to Maracyn 2.

So... they start out fine. Then they become lethargic. Then they bloat. And then they're gone?

Is that the progression? How long does it usually take?

Do you notice anything else on them, or about them? Lesions or sores? Etc?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #35 
Xaltd1

Only lethargy. Some bloat; right now Blush is bloated and Mist has fin rot; no bloat. But both are hiding.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #36 
Sakura8

Quite a bit of bacteria is resistant to Maracyn Two now; it is minocycline and it's been overused in the aquarium world and often to treat the wrong diseases so yes, a lot of bacteria is resistant. In addition, it has potential to harm the kidneys and it is not effective in high pH waters.

There are only two antibiotics that are good for treating internal infections. They are Kanaplex (kanamycin) and Maracyn Two (minocycline). Both absorb easily through the gills whereas other antibiotics do not and are only effective for topical infections. But again, in the cases of dropsy symptoms where a kidney infection is a possible cause, Kanaplex is preferred.

Last edited by Sakura8; 05-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #37 
Xaltd1

Thank you- I'll try the kanaplex.
Posted via Mobile Device