Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #1 
Campbell

A permeant quarantine tank?

I was wondering what you guys think about this idea...

I have two betta fish right now and an extra 3 gallon tank. I was thinking that I could use this tank as a fishy rehabilitation clinic of sorts. I would buy a betta that doesn't look so good then give it some TLC. Afterward I would find it a good home. I already have a few good friends that would take a healthy fish. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? I'll have extra time with school out. I've already began researching common illnesses and their treatment. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #2 
Nataku

If you know that you can place the betta, then if you feel you are up to the challenge, go for it. But be absolutely sure you can place the fish with someone who can look out for it before getting it, otherwise your quarantine tank is going to become that betta's permanent home. Do you have a sufficient supply of meds for these fish? While clean water will do wonders, some fish will require more intervention, and you want to have meds on hand, because you won't always be able to run to the store, or the store just doesn't have them.

Also, be prepared for losing some of these fish. I've experimented with quite a few sick bettas now (I have a flea market near my home that sells bettas, the lady at the store gives me bettas for free - she always has a wonderful selection of bettas on the verge of death from various illnesses and infections). I've found you can't save them all. Losing some of them can be sad, especially when you thought you were doing so well with some of them and then they just lose all progress and fade away, or suddenly crash.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #3 
Campbell

Right now the only meds I have is a jungle fungus eliminator. What others would you recommend? I was planning on picking up more when I bought the first patient. I have 2-3 homes lined up already, so I'm good on that for now. I'm very prepared for some deaths, I love animals but understand not all can be saved.

I was also wondering about a filter. I have a small whisper one in that tank right now, but would this stress out a sick fish to much?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think its great that you want to do this. Good luck!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #5 
Campbell

I purchased the first patient today. I was planning on just picking up some blood worms, but of course wandered over to the bettas. It was a small fish store and they only had about five on the shelf. The owner asked me I needed any help. I replied with a nope, all your bettas seem pretty healthy. haha. I then explaned my idea, so she took me to a back room. There was an adult male with popeye and fin rot. She told me that he had arrived this way(not sure if that is true) and would give him to me for free. He's only been in the tank for about an hour, and he's been pretty laid back. I plan on starting treatment tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with him. Thats great that she gave him to you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #7 
Elisew

Good on ya Campbell!!

Hope it all goes well and you know that there`s some great people on here who will do everything to help when you need some info 8)

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote