Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Nano has developed Popeye-Need to know if API General Cure can be use w/Tetracycline

He was first treated for parasites last night with API GC. His eye have swelled up with in the past two hours. He was fine earlier. The details about his condition can be seen in the link. I also need to know if Epsom Salts can be in with Tetracycline. I am going to start the Epsom salt but I want get an antibiotic started as his fins issues need that as well.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=165153
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

Actually I am not sure if I should even use the Epsom Salt his eyes are definitely bulging but not cloudy. I think I make it a small amount until someone responds.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #3 
SevyJane

I've previously looked up the same combination and from what I've read, the mangesium sulfate can deactivate the active incredients in the Tetracycline. Best not to use them together.
Personally, I would use the antibiotic first and after it's course use the Epsom salt.
SevyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Maybe I could switch to dips with Paraguard or something? Tetracycline is the right drug for the popeye and fin issues.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I called National Fish Pharmacy to see what they would say. They say I should finish the parasite treatment before treating a secondary infection. That if I don't get rid of the parasites he won't get better. It seems risky to just let the Popeye go though. They also said I need to get his tank temperature to 80 degrees. I will have to move the aquarium as I don't have an adjustable heater. I was going to order some but not soon enough.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #6 
Flapmon

I used melafix for my boy when he had it, cleared his eyes right up within a few days. I know people are so down on it, but it did work.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote