Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1 
Channa

PLEASE HELP- terrified betta

I moved home last week, it was a four hour drive, but my Betta pulled through and was doing great, until 3 days ago.

For three days he has been too busy hiding behind the filter (its a 1 gallon tank, I keep it very very clean) and in the plants to swim around. If the room is empty he comes to the top, the moment you come into my bedroom he shoots to the bottom again. He wont eat food unless you put it at the top and go a safe distance away, if you try to look at him, he goes wild. Like wild. I took the lid off to feed him some food, and looked at him, he went nuts to the point where he jumped right out of the bowl and on to the towl the tank sits on. I had to pick him up and put him in (which of course scared him even more now). Now his fins are tattered from the towl and me handeling him, and he is even more terrified.

I dont know whats happened to him! Unless my parents went into my room (I am living with them until University starts again) and did something to him, Nothing bad has happened that I have seen.

Im also worried about his health now. Im not sure if anything harmful may have gotten on him, or if he hurt himself jumping out.
He used to be fine, he was very social and would come to the top at first site of a person. Movement didnt bother him, he was never very worried about anything at all. Seriously, never. Now he is freaked out at all times.

How can I make him calm down? what can I do? I dont want him hurting himself! Yet despite all of this he has built a bubble nest. about 3 days ago, he's been adding to it. Please help! Should I wrap the bottom of the tank in something not see through so he feels safe?

Last edited by Channa; 04-27-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Channa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2 
justmel

I would wrap the tank. My daughter got an EE last weekend and he just flips out for no obvious reason. I moved him from the louder main part of my house to my bedroom & wrapped him in a towel. He still freaks a little when he sees me because I have to change his water or something, but he is starting to calm down. He didn't eat the first 5 days we had him. It took two days in my room, wrapped in a towel, until he settled enough to do that.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on wrapping the tank. Darkness has a calming effect Also, keep the tank in a quiet location.

New places can be scary.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #4 
amzingaly

My betta travels on a 2 hour car drive 4 times a year because he has to come to and from college with me. His first week or two after his journey he behaves this same way. I leave the light off in his tank and try not to look directly at him. after a few days I slowy approach his tank besides feeding times and eventually he pulls through :). Don't know if this helps but just letting you know my boy has similar issues.
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #5 
justmel

How's your scared guy Channa
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 
Channa

He is doing much better, thank you :)

I wrapped his tank for a few days, and made sure he only saw me when feeding, then unwrapped it and stayed away from the tank

Slowly he got fairly back to normal, he's just not as social as he used to be, at least his fins are healing up nice and fast!
Channa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #7 
justmel

Good news. Just give him time than.