Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Exclamation White blobs surrounding eyes and upper body..

Hello.
My newly rescued Edger is safe and sound in his new home but there is strange looking white "blobs" surrounding his eyes and upper body. Now its like one big one right below one of his eyes and smaller ones around his head and his upper back....
Does anyone now what this could be? And how I can fix it?
Most add.
He was in HORRIBLE conditions when I found him sooo....
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #2 
Indefinitive

What do you mean by blobs? I'm currently treating one of my boys for ich, which presents in little white spots that kind of look like grains of salt on the tail, fins, and body.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Yeah thats what I am talking about! Sorry.
He has them around his eyes, head, and upper back...
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #4 
Indefinitive

Yeah, that is probably ich. I'm using a medication called Nox-ich, but I know that there are several other brands that are pretty good. Quick Cure is the only one that comes to mind currently.

The ich parasite is only susceptible to medication when they're in the free swimming phase (about three days), and once they burrow into the fish's skin, they're safe from it. After a few days of feeding on blood and dead epithelial cells, they drop off and make more of the little buggers, who repeat the process. The process is said to take about two weeks from start to finish.

To speed up the process, raise the temperature of your tank to about 80-82 degrees to get the little buggers into their free swimming phase faster. Pick a medication with malachite green, methylene blue, quinine hydrochloride, or mepracrine hydrochloride, which will kill the parasite after they have left the fish, and most likely before they've had the chance to spawn.

I've read somewhere to keep up treatment for as long as two weeks to kill off all of them. I'm going for the two weeks with my buddy Fiyero, with 25% - 30% water changes everyday and 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. I'd be very grateful if someone were to confirm that this amount of time is okay, as I'm only doing it to Fiyero because there is someone to take a look at him at almost every hour of the day, just in case anything goes wrong.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote