Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #31 
Lena N

lilnaugrim Probably I feed them not correct. I give them only 4 pellets a day (Tetra ones) 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. And when I give them dryied warms I also give them around 3-4 per day.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #32 
Lena N

Oh, dear lilnaugrim, I keep forgetting to ask you. What temperature do you reccomand to keep now? They sit in temp around 82-83 now...
Thank you.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

82-83 is good for helping heal their fins! Sorry I haven't been around! I was busy running around yesterday trying to get everything done! haha

4 pellets a day is fine! I suggest trying to get some New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets as they are healthier for your fish. the NLS contains garlic which is really really great for your Betta's health! And no, it won't hurt their stomachs :)

Also bloodworms should only be fed as a treat, maybe once a week. They basically contain lots of protein but nothing else that is essential for your boys, it also is basically like eating cardboard haha. But once a week is fine for a treat.

Betta's a great jumpers, I've had Betta's jump out of cups too, but I usually put a lid on it or some plastic wrap over top so they can't get out. But if he's really stressed and stuff, you could try taking the plants out instead and continue to salt the entire tank. If you do, remember to only add in as much salt as you took out (if you take out 3 gallons, put 3 teaspoons back in).

That way you could have your Betta's not as stressed and still heal them up. And don't worry about the details, I'm not easily grossed out or anything haha

And this is what they were in: Remmy is on the left in the smaller cup and Ditto on the right, but I changed them and put them both in the smaller cup with the lid on. It was the cups that I bought them in from the store.

It all depends on the Betta though, some like smaller spaces while others like huge tanks to roam around in. Remmy seems to like spaces that are 4 gallons and smaller, although he does a 5 gallons sharing with Ditto. But Ditto loves the space he has and wants more too lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #34 
Lena N

Dear lilnaugrim, sorry did not answer at once. Wanted to tell you a lot and to ask you a lot. That is why took long...
First of all thank you for pictures of your boys, poor guys also in cups now...They both look very pretty, I do not think I have seen this type of Betta in stores (Petco), yellow colour. Looks like Dito doesn't have very long tale like my Cherryk.
I see that salt treatment helped Cherryk with his fin rot, and his tale and fin look like growing a little. How are your boys? Do they feel better?

Well, want to tell you so much. Do not know from what to start. First, today will be the tenth day of salt treatment for Cherryk and Blueno. I am going to stop salt tomorrow but I still do not know if I should keep them in cups or let them in tank. It would be real nightmare to move out the plants by the way. I was chaging the devider for new with larfer holes (got mesh canvas in Michaels, around 60c). Also I was adding terracota pots, so it was so difficult with plant I have, most of them cave out from gravel. I have microsword, so I hade to plant them back all the time even when fishiks were in tank. They were constanly digging plants out. So I would never want to move plants out :).
So I wanted to make for Cherryk place to hide from flow and made him kind of cave from Terracota pot. I do not know if he even will look inside...
I read that Terracota clay lows PH, but I do not trust this information to tell the truth. I will test PH before adding guys to tank...
So, I do not know what to do with Cherryk and Blueno. Should I keep them in jars longer?

What else? I was trying to clearn algue from small piece of drift wood (for another tank) and it was hard to fight it too. I was keeping it without light, I was brushing it, I was spraying it with H2O2 on it, I was keeping it on a Sun. And still I see some traces of algue. Must confess it was me who rased algeu on it - I was keeping light day and night in tank (there were no fishes) and driftwood became green...
Well I placed it in tank anyway already...

About food I think you are right, it is very important to feed them good food. I stoped giving them frozen blood warms couple weeks ago. Maybe gave the too many dryed blood warms. Or maybe I gave them too many pelletes or flakes as two of boys (Blueno and Rudolfio) do not go to bathroom already for 2 days. Others guys' poop looks not normal, kind of lighter and more orange coloyr. So I do not know what to do. Do you think it is because I do not fast them once a week?
Do you fast your Bettas once a week?
Rudolfio looks kind of depressed and sometimes disoriented, I do not know maybe because of constipatiom. Probably will test water after this letter.
Going to buy New Life Spectrum though did not plant to buy more food...

Blueno's white spot on body was really transforming interesting. First 2 days ago it became very white and bright, like small cotton ball (see photo made 2 days ago). After it was sticking out of his body like a pin and today it is gone completely :).

For them not jumping out I put some mesh on tops of cups and on top of them goes a tank lid.

I wanted to tell you about my heater Eheim 25W. When to adjust the needed temperature (now I have 80), it keeps the same temperature very stable. So, I recommend you this heater. I am going to get the same for another tank. As to termometres I have 4 thermometres, they all are Marina; 2 floating and two stick-on tank thermometres. So, when those that floating show 80F, those that stick on both show 78F. Sometimes I am not sure which of them are correct. I can not afford to buy more thermometres right now, so I wish to find the way to find out if they are true.

Well, if I even wanted to ask smth else, I do not remember anymore. Going to find my camera now to add some pictures
too.
They also on photo in jars I bought them.
Name:  111111111111111111111111111111.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  22222222222222222222222222222.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No worries about the long reply, I like to know what's going on so I can help!

That's great about the spot being gone on Blueno! He doesn't look very constipated in the photo but I would still not feed him one day and see if he poos. Yes, it's supposed to look orange-y, not clear or anything.

I would continue to keep them in the cups, reduce the salt for two days. Sorry, I can't remember if you were using 3 teaspoons per gallon or not. If you were then you can start to reduce it so, today instead of using 3 teaspoons you can use 1 or 1.5 teaspoons of pre-dissolved salt. And then tomorrow use only 1 or .5 teaspoon of salt and the following day use no salt.

I believe, if I remember what I read correctly, that Ich can survive for up to 7 days without a host and then they die, that's a maximum though. They could be dead already because they haven't had any fishies to attach to in a few days but I would still keep them in the cups to make sure. Always doing 100% water change in their cups to keep the ammonia down.

So once there is no more salt you can use the Stress Coat conditioner to start to help heal up Cherryk's fins and keeping them out of the tank water will ensure the Ich will be dead before you put them in.

So I would probably do the Stress Coat in their jars for another 4 to 5 days just to be on the safe side. When you are going to put them in, do a 50% water change on their whole tank to get all the excess debris and possibly left over Ich out of the tank. And then put more water in, treated with Stress Coat so they can have it in their tank.

Back to Blueno, you can try taking a bit of his tank water into a microwavable dish, take out one frozen pea and plop it into the water. Cover the bowl about half way and microwave it for 30 seconds to blanch it. When it's "cooked" you can take out the pea, take the skin off and make it into very very small pieces. You can stick one end onto a tooth pick if you have one and try feeding it to Blueno, the pea will basically go through his system and remove any constipation he has if any and he should poo after that. Make sure not to feed him after you fee the pea until he poos. So you'll want to do that in the jar, you could do it today and see if anything happens tomorrow.

About the thermometers, I almost always trust my floating thermometers over the stick on ones, I just feel like being in the water is a better indication than being on the outside of the glass, you know?

A yeah, Ditto doesn't have a super long tail because he is a double tail so it's only just under an inch when he's actually healed up. They're both doing good so far though, Remmy's fins are starting to come back but I might have to switch out one of them if they keep flaring at each other, which is what causes Remmy's fins to split. But the darn thing hit his head on part of the plastic of his cup when I first put him in so he will had some scars form that but they are healing up rather quickly which is great.

Remmy is what is called a Mustard Gas, it's a type of coloration which has a blue body, orange fins and a blue band around his fins. Ditto is almost a Mustard Gas but he's black and yellow, he's more bi-colored than mustard gas though. I didn't get either of them at Petco actually, Remmy I got at a store named PetSense and Ditto from a local fish shop :)

So anyway, I think I've covered it all now :)

EDIT: Whoops, I knew I forgot something. The terracotta pots a great, one thing to watch out for is the holes on the bottoms, sometimes Bettas can try to swim through and might get stuck. so either plug up the hole or take the bottom out and use rough sandpaper to smooth the edges. Also you should boil them before being placed in the aquarium in case of bacteria and other stuff that might be roaming on the pot. It will probably lower the pH but not by much, usually only .1 degree each time and probably no more than .3 over its time being in there. So unless you have a pH of 6.0 it should be completely fine :D

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #36 
Lena N

Hello dear lilnaugrim, thank you for answer!
Whoops, I forgot to boil the pots. Before I always boiled stones, gravel, and rinsed driftwood with boiled water. Ad this time I totally forgot about it and just rinsed them with wam tap water...and placed them in both tanks. Probably I was too tired...
You know, the pots that are 3" I bought from wallmart have no holes, and small ones that are 2" have very, very tiny holes (around 3-4 millimeters).

About salt treatment you told me to use 1 teaspoon for G, this what I was doing for 10 days. I am afraid that if I used 3 teaspoons per G, all my plants would be gone as even 1 spoon effected some of them. So it is good you said 1 teaspoon. Well, I did not added any salt to their cups today and my husband really ecourage me to let them back to tank as water there is much better than in cups (no ammonia building up). I left them in cups for this night and thought I would ask what you think? Maybe to let them back in tank? I do not have Stress Coat. :( Just ordered new heater, New life Spectrum and Para Guard. Did not plan to buy anything more. Well, do you think it is ver nessasary for healing?
I am telling you that tank really sycled during ONE WEEK thanks to Eco Complete, they sent me it right away from Florida UPS and I think there were some good bacterias as I did not rinse it. I never had any nitrites or ammonia in that thank...
As to another the same tank, I sycle it fishless too for about 2 weeks now, I added EcoComplete but I rinsed it before adding it, and I have very high nitrites all week. Then about 3 days ago nitrites became 0. I was so happy, I thought I would get heater and let Rudolfio and Pistacio in. But after adding drift wood, some clay pots, devider, the nitrites again became high. So this one will not sycle as easy as first tank. I see it...
Though some people say that peas not good for Betta I also used peas before. Oh, they love them. I just unfrosen them and was giving very small pieces. And yes, it did help the to poop.
You know, it is 3rd day Blueno and Rudolfio do not poop. So I am going to give them some peas tomorrow if I do not see anything in the morning (any poop :).
Other two guys seem to be ok.
I do not know if I should have done that, but I gave them som live frozen blood warms today...
I found last night why Rudolfio was depressed - I tested water and nitrites were very high. So I added them more Prime last nignt and changed 100% water in the morning. They seem more happy today.

Very glad your guys are doing good. How come they flare at ech other? Are they usually in devide tank too? I changed my old devider Top Fin to a different Mesh canvas and they will not see each other as clear anymore. So hopefully my guys also will not flare much.

I will need to leave in the end of month for a week. I know what I am going to do with boys. Will devide small 2,5 G tank for 4 fishes and will give it to friend. Need to put them in one tank as I have only one small heater. Only I do not know what to do with water changes. Maybe I will ask her to do WC at least every next day, or to add Prime everyday? I really do not want to give guys to anybody but I have no choice, must go...
As to 2 sycled tanks, I do not want turn off filters but the water level will go down during the week, so here I do not know what to do as filter in Fluval 5 requers water to be at curtain level...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, I'm going to go backwards here.

They will be fine left for a week, Betta's can survive a month without eating no problem so they will be fine if you leave them in their tanks. You can have your friend come over to give them a pellet or two in the middle of the week, make sure she knows not to overfeed them! That is important!

I had a Lee's divider that clouded up so they could still see shadows but they're fine.

Have you been putting the salt IN their cups??? The salt needed to go into their cups, not into the tank. That is why I told you to put them in the cups, so that the salt would be in their cups and not in the tank to hurt the plants....Sorry, I don't know if I specified that before.

Don't let them out yet, have you been doing full water changes on the cups? We need to know that the Ich is completely gone first so wait at least 4 more days and we need to see Blueno poop as well.

Peas are good for all fish, not as a complete diet but for clearing out their intestinal tract. That's why we feed it to them :)

Also, just because your tank isn't showing nitrites/nitrates or ammonia doesn't mean it's Cycled. To have a tank cycled it needs to go through the process of an ammonia spike, a nitrite spike and finally a nitrate spike. This is going to take more than 2-3 weeks even if you have things from other aquariums that have the bacteria on it, like the eco-complete.

Just keep doing small water changes every time you see nitrites get high and hopefully soon nitrates will kick in to finish off the cycle. The whole point of the cycle is that those numbers WON'T get high to harm your fishies :/

Yes Stress Coat is a great additive for healing fins, I mean, you can do it without it but it's just going to take much longer.

Also, are you putting Prime into the tank before putting new water in?

So yeah, definitely take those pots out and boil them for a little bit, you'll have to make sure they don't crack though. I've never boiled terracotta so I don't know how long or whatnot, you might want to google it to see. Those could definitely cause spikes though so just be careful and that's good about the holes.

:)
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #38 
Lena N

Thank you, lilnaugrim! I will keep them in cups longer after your answer. I really wanted to let them back to tank already....

Well, probably because I wrote a lot it was hard to understand what I was doing.
I was doing salt 1 teaspoon per G in tank for about 5-6 days and after I moved fishes to cups (floating in tank ). In cups I also used salt - 1 tespoon perd G. Also for 5 days. So they got salt treatment 1 teaspoon per G for 10 days. Of course I always add water confitioner even to aged water. :)
When they were in tank I kept temp pretty high sometimes, like 86-87F, so I hoped the parasites would die already in tank.

First 5 GTank showed high nitrates once (about 40), but now it 5.0-10. I test water all the time there, no nitrites or ammonia.

With second 5 G tank different story. All the time nitrites. And yes there was a spike of nitrites when I added terracotta pots. I do not add fishes there yet. One of reason I do not have heater for second tank yet. And it stays in kitchen where is pretty cool at night. So they sit in 2,5 G right now with small heater/thermometre but no filter, gravel, nothing, just water.

I received paper coupon from Petco 25% on water conditioners, so probably will buy Stress Coat today. Oh well, very expensive to take care about my fishiks. :( Spent a lot of money already.

No poop in the morning from Blueno or Rudolfio. Going to give them peas soon.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #39 
Lena N

Dear lilnaugrim, the same what Remmy has, happened today to Bluene. He was running from me during water change and hit his head, so he has goldish spot on had now, pretty nasty. I do not know probably scales missing. :( Oh well. Now I defenetly need Stress Coat...
I gave them peas, by the way...
p.s. I hate changing water for Blueno. He is the most stressed from it and very frightend of all fishes I have.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry he's hurt more! It does happen but they heal quickly, especially in the salt mixture. Remmy is already healed up! Well his head is healed but his fins are still growing the best they can.

Okay, good, phew! You scared me for a moment when I thought you were just doing salt in the tank and not their cups haha. Just a few more days! And they'll be set!

So tomorrow you can stop using the salt, make sure to acclimate them. This is where it helps to have multiple bowls you can use. So just do one at a time, empty one of their cups half way, prepare another bowl with regular tap, warm and add conditioner. Every few minutes or so add in a small amount of water, probably a few Tablespoons would be fine. Do that till it's filled up again, empty half again and repeat so he's used to the new water.

After that you can put him into the temporary bowl while you rinse out the cup he stays in so that there's no residue of anything left in that. Fill with water, conditioner and place him in the new water. And do the same for the other so they can get used to not having salt.

The fresh water will also help heal Blueno's head up too. That's great about the 25% off coupon, wish I had those lol. And yeah, just think of how much I've spent, I've gone through about 6 or 7 tanks (although some free) plus all filters for those tanks, heaters/lighting, gravel, sand, plants, ornaments, more plants lol and then all the meds and stuff. Yeah, it adds up real quick!

How long has it been since you fed them? (if you've already fed them peas by the time you read this, just answer from before they ate the pea) Also do they look bloated or anything?