Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes. Say the rays are too thin that they become overly floppy. Some prefer a more sturdy fin. So they cross to a PK and work them selves back to VT . . . of what ever form they are working on. Since spade shaped caudal is desired (I think), try to look for a PK with rather spade shaped caudal. Hopefully you will get spade shaped VT somewhere along your line.

Color too is a goal you can achieve by crossing. Say there are no dragon scaled VT in your area, but there are lots of dragon scaled HM or PK.

What is important to consider when thinking of cross breeding fin type is your goal. Will the cross compliment your goal? So don't just cross them without reason other than availability (if possible).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #12 
Fenghuang

I see. I definitely would not be throwing the first boy and girl I can find together. I would do a lot of research on genetics and hypothetical crosses (which I find really interesting, anyway) first.

Is it easier to improve colour or form?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

On VT, form or equally difficult/easy. but in modern fin types, color is easier. More rays is recessive so fry will most probably have less rays if one of the parents were only 2 rays (like the VT). And HM x HM DOES NOT = 100% HM
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote