Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #31 
Sakura8

Jada, I'm so sorry about your cat. :( Big HUGS for you.

Now, about Nano. Hmm.

Here's the thing. If he has flukes, then A) you won't be able to see them so you won't be able to tell if they're gone, so no worries about that part and B) the temp should go UP for flukes because higher temps shortens the life spans of most external parasites.

In the case of General Cure. It's confusing and I actually found the same confusing info for praziquantel when I needed to deworm a cat. Must be a prazi thing. Anyway, I would go ahead and do at least 4 doses, probably 6.

You can combine General Cure with Kanaplex and Furan-2 to make an extremely powerful drug combination but in this case, you probably only need the Kanaplex.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #32 
jadaBlu

Does Kanaplex need to be taken internally to treat popeye? Is there any harm in dosing the Kanaplex both ways?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #33 
Sakura8

No. It can be added to the water.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #34 
jadaBlu

He's getting both now. Keeping fingers crossed that I see less bulging in the morning.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #35 
jadaBlu

Nano is still doing ok. It's hard to tell he if he is getting better. He still has popeye. He still has the white areas. It doesn't seem like he's getting worse. He is still very interractive with me, chasing my finger and flaring his gill covers but not his fins. I thinking of am reducing his tank water to 1.5 gallon or perhaps 2 and treating him in tank. To make daily water changes easier. I think he'd be much happier. I have to check the water paremeters and take his sponge filter. I figure I could leave sit in a bucket of tank water until I can put it back.
I will post a new picture of him soon.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #36 
Sakura8

How old is Nano? The white areas may be a result of aging. Reducing the water in his tank does sound like a good idea.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #37 
jadaBlu

So today first the positives: his popeye seems to have gone down, the color has returned to his body below his dorsal fins, whatever the yellow crusty things were on his gill cover were ( I presume gill flukes enmass) are gone, his fins while they seem to look worse appear to be meshing. He is eating fine and is still interactive.
The only negative is that he looks bloated in the "tummy area" and it's whitish.
Here are pic not long or great (batteries dying in camera)

http://youtu.be/12HJtygQCpg

The first video for comparison

http://youtu.be/Mz2psznK9qk

I have not released him into his regular tank. I was thinking the kanaplex would kill my cycle if one even exists now. The water from the hospital tank since it's floating in his regular tank has leaked out occassionally. Does it matter at this point? I imagine any amount of kanaplex leaking into the fish tank would kill off the good bacteria.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 05-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #38 
Sakura8

His poor fins do look pretty beat up but he seemed lively so that's a good sign. He did look a tad bit bloated though, something to keep an eye on. If the bloating is perhaps caused by an internal bacterial problem, the Kanaplex will help with that but if it's caused by something else like parasites then we'll have to treat him for that later.

When used in the tank itself, Kanaplex probably does have potential to kill of some of the good bacteria. Some meds are extremely harsh and others aren't so bad; I think Kanaplex is one of the not so bad ones. A small amount of medicated water leaking into the tank shouldn't hurt though.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #39 
jadaBlu

He is taking the API General Cure for parasites and the Kanaplex. I think I have maybe one or two days left on the API GC to make 6 days on it. I could do a epsom salt dip if you think that would help.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #40 
Sakura8

Let's wait and see if he improves first. I forgot he was on the General Cure too; most likely not internal parasites then since the General Cure would've taken care of that. He could just be bloated from the medication. o.O