Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #41 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mana122 View Post
Lupin: While this is informative, and I think it's important that people understand the possible living conditions of betta in the wild, the point you're trying to drive home isn't neccisarily valid.

I have a friend who owns several beta throughout her home. It's important to remember that betta have remarkable varied personalities. One betta may greatly enjoy a tiny little bowl where it has just enough room to move around, while another may only enjoy having a GIGANTIC tank with all the fixings.

Just a thought.
You could raise a child in a closet by simply providing food and water ,,but It is doubtful that the child would thrive. They could survive and that's it.
Of the literally thousands of posts,involving sick bettas that I have seen on the internet,, I cannot recall ONE where betta that was kept in filtered,heated tank of ten gal or more ,ever reported a problem with the health of their fish.Always find it troubling, that those who profess to love their fish,,insist on keeping them in enviornments unsuitable for their longterm health. One need not look very hard to see the validity of that statement. I sometimes wish that bettas were ten to twenty dollars a piece. Perhaps then ,,people would be willing to care for them in a manner that ALL fish deserve.Bettas could care less whether or not you love them. All they want,,is ...proper food,proper enviornment, and clean water.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #42 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by mana122 View Post
Lupin: While this is informative, and I think it's important that people understand the possible living conditions of betta in the wild, the point you're trying to drive home isn't neccisarily valid.

I have a friend who owns several beta throughout her home. It's important to remember that betta have remarkable varied personalities. One betta may greatly enjoy a tiny little bowl where it has just enough room to move around, while another may only enjoy having a GIGANTIC tank with all the fixings.

Just a thought.
Bettas are not for everyone as some people think. While it does come down to personality, it also comes down to human perception. If the owner is diligent with his maintenance in keeping a betta inside a gallon or two gallon bowls, that's fine by me and I am sure everyone else will be satisfied knowing the fish is in good hands. On the other hand, if the owner is lazy preferring not to change water at all, does this make the advice of using gallon bowls desirable at all to some beginners who are put off by the idea to do daily water changes?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #43 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I sometimes wish that bettas were ten to twenty dollars a piece. Perhaps then ,,people would be willing to care for them in a manner that ALL fish deserve.Bettas could care less whether or not you love them. All they want,,is ...proper food,proper enviornment, and clean water.
I couldn't agree more!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #44 
dramaqueen
Banned

3 of mine are in 1 gallon containers and the rest are in 2 gallons and up. I heard a lot of people (not on this site) SAY that their bettas are in large heated, filtered tanks and that their bettas were suffering from various diseases. I think even with large tanks, some people don't want to do the maintenance. I think whether in big tanks or small, the water quality needs to be kept up and they need to be fed properly and we need to give them the best environment we possibly can.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #45 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Bettas are not for everyone as some people think. While it does come down to personality, it also comes down to human perception. If the owner is diligent with his maintenance in keeping a betta inside a gallon or two gallon bowls, that's fine by me and I am sure everyone else will be satisfied knowing the fish is in good hands. On the other hand, if the owner is lazy preferring not to change water at all, does this make the advice of using gallon bowls desirable at all to some beginners who are put off by the idea to do daily water changes?
Yop, water is a wonderful bacteria hatchery! So, clean, clean, clean!

1 and 2 gallon containers need a complete water change every 7-10 days, I've been trying to educate people on the importance of cleaning the bowls, but no... "the directions on the bowl said", that's all I get, :(

So bettas can be kept in bowls, but go for a tank, or you'll never see how happy he can be. Not to mention the bubblenests :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #46 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I couldn't agree more!
If people bought my bettas, who are $60.00, they would take care of them.

I'm not selling anymore for now, I'll tell you when though!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #47 
whitedevil

60 bucks for a fish? I dont even spend that much for a piece of fish at bob chin's.

Go for the community tank, the bettas live alot longer and are alot healthier if upkept( most problems stem from underfiltration and lack of proper diet) they do great.

Stay away from any tetras but cardinals and neons , do your homework on fin nippers, I had one betta for 5 years , 3 years in a community tank he did fine, got a new betta about 8 months later and the same exact fish tore his fins up, got rid of em got some guppies instead. The more filtration the better for bettas.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #48 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhalfmoon View Post

1 and 2 gallon containers need a complete water change every 7-10 days, I've been trying to educate people on the importance of cleaning the bowls, but no... "the directions on the bowl said", that's all I get, :(

So bettas can be kept in bowls, but go for a tank, or you'll never see how happy he can be. Not to mention the bubblenests :)
Or they say "the petstore guy said to feed them once a week and change the water when it starts to turn green. "
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #49 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevil View Post
60 bucks for a fish? I dont even spend that much for a piece of fish at bob chin's.

Go for the community tank, the bettas live alot longer and are alot healthier if upkept( most problems stem from underfiltration and lack of proper diet) they do great.

Stay away from any tetras but cardinals and neons , do your homework on fin nippers, I had one betta for 5 years , 3 years in a community tank he did fine, got a new betta about 8 months later and the same exact fish tore his fins up, got rid of em got some guppies instead. The more filtration the better for bettas.
More quality fish, and they come in breeding pairs plus food cultures (I'm trying to include the stuff Faith from www.bettatalk.com does). I've had several of my friends (also betta freaks) wanting to pay $100 for them, so no they are not petstore fish, actually their parents were from a PetCo halfmoon and a PetCo crowntail, I'll add pictures soon.

I've been fixing their genetics, and they look GREAT, they are half-suns a mix of halfmoon and crowntail, and have a red copper color, they also carry gold genes, I will add double tails to the line soon.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 05-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #50 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Or they say "the petstore guy said to feed them once a week and change the water when it starts to turn green. "
I can explain why they say these things

1) cool temps lower their metabolism, so they can survive with a once weekly feeding, but that's still cruel.

2) by the time the water is green Mr. Betta is belly up, so you can go and buy ANOTHER fish.