Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #11 
scoobie

His eyes were cloudy this morning but now there is only a white dot. His eyes are the same size. His tank was crystal clear and now it's getting cloudy. He floated backwards last night then started swimming for a little bit. But all day today he has been either by the heater or pump at the top.
I don't have any of the salt. Which one should I get and is it ok to use while medicating them?
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

too much medications which can really make his immune system weaker and stop responding to any medications.
Please stop using Melafix. It has tea tree oil which is very bad for bettas labyrinth organs. And you also been using it for long time. I would really recommend start doing a few 50% water changes and then follow by 100% water changes.
Cloudy water is fine it can be due to bacteria bloom which can happened when you just set up new tank , it not going to hurt the fish and the only way to resolve it is water changes.
You can finish the Fungus Clear Fizz Tabs .Not sure what is Start Zyme? How long you been using Ick meds?
Did you ever saw him dart around before you started ick medications or did you see him trying to scratch his body on objects like the heater, gravel anything else. If not i would not use ick meds any longer unless you almost done with it -then just finish it. Not sure why you decide that he has ich. With ich he would dart, scratch, looks like he sprinkled with salt or white dots. Well you saying he has one white dot . Is it new or it was there before?
I would recommend to go to the pet store and buy aquarium salt but do not use it yet. First do water changes and finish Fungus medication and ick if you already treating any way and if you almost done. I would also do 100% water changes after you do a few 50% water changes. What is the temp in his tank? If he has fungal infection the temp should be lowered because fungus get worse with warmer temp so i would keep it about 76*. If it a lot of warmer you need to lower it slowly about 1-2* in an hour.
Also when you do 100% water changes you need to acclimate the betta carefully to the new water temperature . I am going to post instructions for you in my next thread in a few minutes.
Let me know if i confused you , i am going to post acclimation instructions for 100% water changes

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-02-2013 at 11:57 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. It important so you don't shock him with drastic temp difference Here is one variation that's pretty simple:
Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

Big water changes should have careful acclimation like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with DECHLORINATED water. Then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water I then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out. Of course you need to have thermometer in the tank
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

when you do water changes just redose required dose of the mediation. For example when you do 100% water changes just add that day required dose for the tank size you have him in. The same with 50%. Just add required dose for the day for the tank size, but it would be 1/2 dose since it 50% water changes.
When i meant water changes i meant today 50% or tomorrow you can do a few 50% and then continue with daily 100%.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #15 
jadaBlu

That all sounds good if after you finish the medication and he still seems lethargic and you continue to see the white dot in his eye you might want to treat for parsites with Hikari USA Inc Prazipro
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Startzyme is beneficial bacteria liquid by Jungle. Many people don't think these liquid benificial Bacterias do anything but I've used that one before and it definitely affected the cycle on one of my aquariums. The nitrogen spiked which could contribute to lethargy in a fish.

Since you have access to Jungle Products the Jungle Water Conditioner With Aloe is good stress coat that you can add to the water to help with healing. They sell it at Meijers which I believe you have in Louisville.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #16 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
How is he?
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #17 
scoobie

Well I did a 50% water change this morning before I left for work. He is looking better but he still hangs in the corner top by the filter or pump. He still won't eat. I just bought this aquarium a few days ago so the Start Zyme is a water conditioner for new tanks. Just remember he was in a gallon bowl for months and was fine until a co worker added the frog. I just want this little guy to get better. I'm not sure if they gave him his meds on a daily basis. His eyes don't look cloudy now. If I do a 100% water change tomorrow would you recommend not to use any medication for a few days to see how he does?
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

I have a few questions.How long you treating him with Fungus medications and how much longer left?
Ick drops did you finish them?
Is that white spot still there? Are you sure it not include in his natural color?
What patches could be fungal infection or can be slime coat from the injuries. Since we not sure i would just finish fungal medication since you already started. You can't just start then stop , and then start again.
Ick drops did you finis whole course of it?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

scoobi you logged out , i was waiting for your response. Do 100% water changes and acclimate him really slowly . I would finish fungal medications since we not sure if it was fungus or slime coat. Try to keep the temperature about 77*. If it fungus it will get worse with warmer temperature , but if he has ext parisites the higher temperature will kill parasites. So i am not sure which one he has since i didn't get an answer from you. So for now keep it about 77* . If you finish course of ick drops do not add any more. If you still treating then finish it. And just redose the required dose with water change. Do daily water changes. If you can buy Aquarium salt and i would buy epsom slat just in case you need it. Let's see how he doing with daily water changes and finish all medications he is on. And if he is not better will continue with salt.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

And i just want to remind do not use Melafix.