Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #11 
logisticsguy

Well no reason to give up if fish is healthy other than fin issues right. Ragged fins are common they tear easy from plastics over flaring ect. You should try getting a turkey baster and sucking out poops everyday if possible and I recommend 3 x 70% wc per week with your size tank for awhile. Try clean warm water and time. Also if you are on a budget just get a broad spectrum med like Paraguard It goes a long way and is terrific at healing fins as it works like an anti septic. I realize that you are young and limited money so do another AQ salt if you have to. Most times just keeping sanitation of the betta water and tank bottom is all it takes. Bettas like their water Pristine!! Never let a LFS employee tell you different.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

bettacrazygirl86 - I think you're doing a great job. You've taken on the task of caring for your own fish *and* your sister's. I think that says a lot about your level of maturity.

Can you post a photo so we can see how he looks?

Do your parents know that you are the one caring for your sister's fish? Perhaps they can speak to your sister. Or if they see that you are committed to caring for him, maybe they would be willing to get you an inexpensive medication. As logisticsguy said, you could just do another salt treatment, and see if that helps.

But first, just post a picture, if you can, so we can see the extent of it.

If you do decide to get a medication, I recommend Jungle Fungus Clear. It's available at Walmart for less than $4.

Jungle Fungus Clear contains two antibiotics that treat gram negative bacteria. (Most fish illnesses, including fin rot, are due to gram negative bacteria). So for less than $4, you would have something on hand that would treat the majority of fish diseases.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #13 
bettafishfins

Last edited by bettafishfins; 04-28-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: changed my mind
bettafishfins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #14 
isochronism

bettacrazygirl, how much can all the meds cost that you need? I could/would easily send you the money. Do you have Paypal? You can message me.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #15 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishfins View Post
-chuckles- your signature says it all.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Well no reason to give up if fish is healthy other than fin issues right. Ragged fins are common they tear easy from plastics over flaring ect. You should try getting a turkey baster and sucking out poops everyday if possible and I recommend 3 x 70% wc per week with your size tank for awhile. Try clean warm water and time. Also if you are on a budget just get a broad spectrum med like Paraguard It goes a long way and is terrific at healing fins as it works like an anti septic. I realize that you are young and limited money so do another AQ salt if you have to. Most times just keeping sanitation of the betta water and tank bottom is all it takes. Bettas like their water Pristine!! Never let a LFS employee tell you different.
I'm actually not even that young. I'm 18, but can't get a job anywhere I've applied, because I have no previous job experience. I have to buy things for college this fall, so money is really tight and nonexistent right now. I think I'll try more water changes and another AQ salt treatment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
bettacrazygirl86 - I think you're doing a great job. You've taken on the task of caring for your own fish *and* your sister's. I think that says a lot about your level of maturity.

Can you post a photo so we can see how he looks?

Do your parents know that you are the one caring for your sister's fish? Perhaps they can speak to your sister. Or if they see that you are committed to caring for him, maybe they would be willing to get you an inexpensive medication. As logisticsguy said, you could just do another salt treatment, and see if that helps.

But first, just post a picture, if you can, so we can see the extent of it.

If you do decide to get a medication, I recommend Jungle Fungus Clear. It's available at Walmart for less than $4.

Jungle Fungus Clear contains two antibiotics that treat gram negative bacteria. (Most fish illnesses, including fin rot, are due to gram negative bacteria). So for less than $4, you would have something on hand that would treat the majority of fish diseases.
I've been sick and in bed most of the day, and he's been hiding every time I attempt to get a picture of him, so no pictures yet. I'll have to see if my Walmart has that, once I'm feeling up to leaving my room. If they do, I'll pick that up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
bettacrazygirl, how much can all the meds cost that you need? I could/would easily send you the money. Do you have Paypal? You can message me.
I'll figure out all of the stuff everyone's suggested and then send you a message.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #17 
bettacrazygirl86

Got him some meds, thanks to isochronism! Thank you so much. I really hope he'll improve. I wasn't able to get to the store earlier, and the money took three days to get from PayPal to my bank account, so I had to wait until today. I got him Tetracycline, which should help his fins and hopefully his gills. They look kind of funny, but I think that just might be him. I can't remember if he was always like that or not. They're dark and just look kind of weird to me. I don't know. Either way, it should help, thankfully. I also got some epsom salts, just in case I need them either for my bettas or Autumn, who started his Tetracycline treatment today.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

Just want to say whenever you try to treat sick fish make sure you don't share anything between sick fish and your other ones. And when you buy Epsom salt make sure it without additives (unscented). Also when you treating with salt you don't follow box instructions. It just for preventative care , i am not sure i think the box saying 1/2 dose per gall. It none therapeutic dose and will not help.
The theraputic dose to treat with for the aquarium and epsom salt is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall. You need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you put it in the tank and do daily water changes.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #19 
Flapmon

You know, as much as you're all trying to help someone there's really no need to attack the person while you explain what to do. She asked for help, not a lecture on how to look after cocker spaniels. It's hard enough to have a sick fish and its even harder to watch a fish suffer like that. She's doing the right thing by this fish and just because lack of money is a problem doesn't mean everyone needs to pipe up about,"If you can't afford it! WELL THEN..." It's sad, it really is.

Totally just read comments so this is the 3rd time editing, happy you've got the goods. I hope your sisters fishy improves quickly so you don't go through this stress. Maybe talk to your parents about your sisters choices? ;o

Last edited by Flapmon; 05-06-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #20 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Just want to say whenever you try to treat sick fish make sure you don't share anything between sick fish and your other ones. And when you buy Epsom salt make sure it without additives (unscented). Also when you treating with salt you don't follow box instructions. It just for preventative care , i am not sure i think the box saying 1/2 dose per gall. It none therapeutic dose and will not help.
The theraputic dose to treat with for the aquarium and epsom salt is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall. You need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you put it in the tank and do daily water changes.
I make sure to wash everything thoroughly between uses with lots of scrubbing and hot water. :) As much as I do want to help my sister's fish, mine come first and their health is very important to me, so I wouldn't ever do anything to to hurt them or make them sick. I already know to get in scented Epsom salt, but I wasn't sure on the dosage. Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
You know, as much as you're all trying to help someone there's really no need to attack the person while you explain what to do. She asked for help, not a lecture on how to look after cocker spaniels. It's hard enough to have a sick fish and its even harder to watch a fish suffer like that. She's doing the right thing by this fish and just because lack of money is a problem doesn't mean everyone needs to pipe up about,"If you can't afford it! WELL THEN..." It's sad, it really is.

Totally just read comments so this is the 3rd time editing, happy you've got the goods. I hope your sisters fishy improves quickly so you don't go through this stress. Maybe talk to your parents about your sisters choices? ;o
His tail is starting to look better, but he's been lying around on the bottom of the tank a lot. It looks like the fin rot is starting to go away a little, so I'm hoping it does go away completely so he can be healthy and happy again. I'm going to try to talk to my mom and convince her not to let my sisters get anymore fish, since neither of them clean the tanks or seem to really care about fish in general. I think they just want them because they see mine and how pretty and happy they are, so they want them too, but then stop caring because their fish get sick and aren't "pretty" anymore. :(