Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 
fiky95

Unhappy Slime Coat Sloughing? Or Columnaris?

Hi guys, I wanted to ask you for your opinion on the changes in my little guy's dorsal fin. I know it may not be a big deal, but seeing all the Columnaris and Fungus infections and so many losses due to both that I thought to myself that it'll be better to ask too soon than never.

I haven't changed anything from my previous post when it comes to the food or additives and that all seemed to be ok, so I'm hoping that's not the problem since I got OFL's stamp of approval as well.:)

Housing
What size is your tank? 7gal
What temperature is your tank? 82F/28C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, I have a heater with a thermometer
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 nerite snail

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've had a planted tank set up for 2 months, so now I'm doing 2 to 3 a week just to make sure (like the NPT sticky says :)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%

I don't add anything different than previously neither I do use ferts or additional CO2 for the plants. I did add a little piece of cuttlebone for the snail though.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: (haven't tested today, but can, everything was ok last time I tested)
Nitrate: ↑ hence the above
pH: 6.6
Hardness: 12
Alkalinity: 2

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? For starters, I have a tail biter - he hasn't bitten in a month (last time he bit himself was when I left for a short trip and when I came home, half of his tail, bits of his dorsal and caudal fin were gone. I've been seeing regrowth (very happily) and his tail is almost back to normal, but recently (about 2 days ago) I noticed that half of his dorsal fin is a bit more see through/transparent than usual and I know that it's normal for the fins to be a bit more see through when a betta flares, but still. I've also noticed a tiny little stringy part on one of his newly growing fins and that's what I'm worried about the most.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't changed at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't started treating him yet, because I'm not sure what for
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I bought him with fin rot and bacterial infection of some sort, all of which was treated + the tail biting
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him since the 8th of October 2012 (bought at a pet shop), not sure how old he's exactly

I'm not sure if it's possibly a slime coat shedding? Or something worse? Or hopefully it's no big deal? I'm sorry if I'm being annoying and freaking out unnecessarily, but I'd greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

I've added a few pictures below (haven't altered them or anything) ↓

(please ignore the smudge on the glass, I need to go clean it up NOW, haven't noticed it before xD)
Attached Images

Last edited by fiky95; 05-01-2013 at 02:19 PM.
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #2 
isochronism

Someone with more experience should chime in soon :) Good luck!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #3 
isochronism

I could be wrong :) Give them a bit more time....
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #4 
isochronism

It looks as though you stumped the whole community!! :)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #5 
fiky95

Hopefully not! :)

Ok, I'm bringing in a little update - the "fuzzy bit" seemed to be getting slightly worse (or I'm more likely paranoid), so I started treating with Aq. salt - the fuzzy bit fell off over night. The dorsal fin is still translucent without a whole lot of improvement, which kinda scares me.

I found a similar case here http://flippersnfins.yuku.com/topic/...ng-translucent

Apparently, it may be the change in pH? The cuttlebone could have possibly raised it I can imagine, so now I'm not sure if I should take it out or if that's going to make for another shock?

Thanks.:)
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote