Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #11 
Rana

I would suggest bring along a gallon or two of your old/current water per tank, either from the aquarium or fresh from the tap, just to help them acclimate. It's what I do when I have to move my fish, since I feel like it stresses them out less to start off with a 50/50 mixture of their old water & the new stuff. You'd still need to acclimate them properly, and it won't save the cycle, but it's something to consider if you have the space to haul water. Good luck!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #12 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I would suggest bring along a gallon or two of your old/current water per tank, either from the aquarium or fresh from the tap, just to help them acclimate. It's what I do when I have to move my fish, since I feel like it stresses them out less to start off with a 50/50 mixture of their old water & the new stuff. You'd still need to acclimate them properly, and it won't save the cycle, but it's something to consider if you have the space to haul water. Good luck!
I wish I could do that for my guys, but I would have to move around 60 gallons of water or more to give everyone a portion of their water to start with. I did pick up larger bags than I figured I'd need so I could move a bit more of their water with them, but even across town I'm not going to be able to talk anyone into helping me move so many gallons of water.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #13 
Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I wish I could do that for my guys, but I would have to move around 60 gallons of water or more to give everyone a portion of their water to start with. I did pick up larger bags than I figured I'd need so I could move a bit more of their water with them, but even across town I'm not going to be able to talk anyone into helping me move so many gallons of water.
Wow, that would be a lot of water! I forgot to double check how many tanks you said you have, so yeah that's probably not do-able. If you're not going very far it's likely that the water is the from the same source anyway, so hopefully it won't even be a concern!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #14 
justmel

ok, think I have my fishy moving plan figured out. The 6 week old fry will be bagged, wrapped, and in a cooler to help maintain temp even for the couple hours they should be there. The adults bettas & other fish will be bagged, wrapped, and packed in fishing tanks (that way the aquariums are packed too). I will use about 2 gallons water from the fry tank in my water changing bucket for the live plants and snails. Once I get everything to the new place I will set up the fry tank and start acclimating them. Then I will move the fish from the tanks to the cooler and get their tanks set up and start their acclimating process. It may take all day to move them all, but it's going to be so nice having all my tanks in one room. No doubt that will make my water changes that much easier.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

sorry i am at work and didn't have chance to read every thread but i want to say something abut cycled tanks
If tank is cycled take the sponge from the filter and put it in a tupperware container filled with tank water to keep the bacteria alive and maintain most of the cycle. So you keep the filter media wet...Take as much of the water out of the tank that you can to transport-but bring a couple of gallons of fresh water from your house to mix the new water from the new place and once you get the tank setup-do a slow acclimation by adding small amounts of the new tank water to his holding container over 30 min or so.

If the two source water are really different it better to start out with smaller water changes -in the 25% range 3-4 times a week for the first couple of weeks then 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality.....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #16 
justmel

Thank you Anhel, I really wish I could take all that time & do slow water adjustments, but since I am moving 7 tanks over 10 gallons and several smaller I just can't. Luckily we aren't moving far, maybe 10-15 minutes away so it shouldn't be to big an issue. Still, that is why I am taking several gallons of water from my fry tank, I figure the adjustment will be hardest on them. I almost forgot their sponge filter, but I do plan on moving that in the bucket of their water with the plants and snails.

I wouldn't have thought about it, but I can take it slower with the fry too and add a few more gallons of new water everyday until I have them filled back up. Thanks again for making me rethink that part. I really want to make this as easy on my fish as I can. I think I'm going to try and talk the old man into moving a tank or two with just a little water left in it too.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #17 
jentralala
Reference Team

I think if you're only moving 15 minutes away, the water would still come from the same source, but I'm not quite sure how you could check that.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #18 
justmel

It's only about 15 minutes, but it is in a different city. No clue how that works at all myself. lol
Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

good luck give us update:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #20 
justmel

Got everyone moved, three trips to move it all, but it's done. Everyone made the trip fine, a few rather stressed out, but I am just taking their acclimation VERY slowly. In fact I started in yesterday and they still aren't done. I lost no fry & in the end was able to use most of their water to set them back up. Their tank isn't even half full right now, but I will slowly be adding fresh water to them until it is again.

My sorority, which I've been having problems with (3 of my ladies just can't stand each other) actually seem to be doing better. Only 1 female is even flaring at the others and that's all she's doing. So the move and totally redoing their tank seems to have been a very good thing for them.