Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1 
Anime Fish

Talking New to the Forum but not Bettas!

Hi there! After reading a lot of topics on this forum, I've finally decided to join. Currently, I have no bettas, I haven't had one for a couple of years now. After discovering pet forums just a year ago, I found out I wasn't taking care of my pets properly. My little red male betta (sorry, I don't know the proper colour names for bettas...) named Freddy lived in a 1.5 gallon tank with a plastic plant. He lived for just 2 years. I know what mistakes I've made in the past, the tiny tank, the plastic plant, and no heater or filter. Horrible right?

I'm planning to get a betta in several months and to put him/her in a cycled 10 gallon planted tank with a heater and filter. I can't wait till then! I'm hoping to learn a lot on this forum, so be prepared for a lot of questions
Thanks for taking the time to read, see you around the forum!

Last edited by Anime Fish; 04-28-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: silly spelling error
Anime Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #2 
crowntaillove3

Good to see that you are picking up the hobby again! By the way, fish keeping is addictive. I was only allowed to get one betta in December, and now I have four tanks, two bettas, one dwarf gourami, three long finned red minor tetra, four male guppies, one pregnant female guppy, and two golden mystery snails. Enjoy only having to maintain one tank while it lasts. You'll have more in no time!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #3 
Anime Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Good to see that you are picking up the hobby again! By the way, fish keeping is addictive. I was only allowed to get one betta in December, and now I have four tanks, two bettas, one dwarf gourami, three long finned red minor tetra, four male guppies, one pregnant female guppy, and two golden mystery snails. Enjoy only having to maintain one tank while it lasts. You'll have more in no time!
Thanks, I hope to do fish keeping the right way this time! lol I've been alerted a few times before that fish are addictive xD Wow, you do have a lot of fish, I'd love to learn about other fish as well. It's just that I remember absolutely hated to clean fish tanks, especially scraping off algae, so I don't know if I'll get more fish!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #4 
bettasareawesome

Welcome to the forum! I did the same thing to my first betta except, nothing but a small vase. I think you were rather lucky to have him live 2 years. A lot of people have big heated tanks with their bettas yet they only live a year or two.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum Anime Fish we are happy you found us and joined !

Ask any questions that you need help with, there are many great members here who are always willing to answer them and help you in anyway they can. Enjoy !!!

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #6 
Anime Fish

Thank you both for the warm welcome! :)

I don't want to start another thread for this basic question, but are there any good topics for what a betta's diet should be? I'm having trouble finding a thread that thoroughly explains. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi welcome to the forum.
2 years in a 1.5g . . . shows how great you cared for your little friend. Glad you're upgrading now.

There are many opinions on your question. Perhaps posting in "betta care section" will get you more replies. The basic idea is supplying them with all the nutrients it needs - whether pellets (or man made), frozen or live foods.

Shoot us as many questions as you can think of . . . in the right sections of course, for more replies. Remember the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #8 
Anime Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Hi welcome to the forum.
2 years in a 1.5g . . . shows how great you cared for your little friend. Glad you're upgrading now.

There are many opinions on your question. Perhaps posting in "betta care section" will get you more replies. The basic idea is supplying them with all the nutrients it needs - whether pellets (or man made), frozen or live foods.

Shoot us as many questions as you can think of . . . in the right sections of course, for more replies. Remember the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have.
Aw, thanks! Bettas were the first pets I've ever had, so they've always been special to me in a way.
Thanks for the answer. Okay, next time I'll just post a new thread
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #9 
Auburn Sakura

Hi! Glad to see another anime lover/pokemon enthusiast! XD And welcome to the site! :D I bet when you get that 10 gallon, it'll be nice. Animals are awesome. :) Lol. XD
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote