Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 
khanhny

new betta wont eat. 5 days...

hi everyone, im jsut looking for some information i cant seem to find
i read on here that its okay for a new fish not to eat for the first few days..but im still wondering about mine. he's my first one...

I'm giving him omega one betta buffet pellets and he would swim up to sniff them but wont eat it.
the only thing he will eat is the freeze dried blood worms i gave him one on sunday and one on wednesday

so should i stop feeding him the bloodworms so he will be hungry enough to eat his pellets?? i know he's not supposed to eat that everyday...but i dont want to over starve him....

other than the eating problem. He's very active and healthy. he plays with a pinpong ball and comes when i whistles....
he's in a 2.5 gallon heated tank

thanks
khanhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2 
Briz

He should be fine not eating for a month (but we certainly wouldn't want that!)

I found that one of my new bettas who wouldn't eat pellets would eat flakes in a heartbeat. I actually discovered this by accident when I dropped a crushed/flattened pellet into his tank and he ate it. So perhaps try flakes!

Even is that doesn't do it for him, eventually he should get hungry enough to eat what you put in there.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, as Briz had said you don't need to worry to much. My first boy Remmy didn't eat for a month when I first got him even though I offered it up and all. It just took him time to settle into his new home and get comfortable :) Just remember to take out uneaten food so it doesn't rot :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
Kithy

Try soaking a pellet for a minute or two in a small cup of tank water (I use a bottle cap). My CT refuses to eat pellets unless they are softened whereas my VT couldn't care less.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #5 
Minnieservis

I had the same problem with one of my bettas and I use the same pellets as you. Someone suggested fasting him for three days and then trying again. Sure enough he loves the pellets now :)
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #6 
sainthogan

You can also try soaking them in garlic juice, it didn't work for my female, but it has worked for other people's bettas though. It took me FOREVER to find a pellet my female would like, she only liked flakes. I ended up buying a fairly expensive brand of pellets and she loves them, but not as much as her flakes though. She still goes crazy for flakes.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 
khanhny

Thank you so much everyone.. I use a turkey baster to suck out all the food. I dont know if soaking the pellets will work on him. I've seen him gobbled down the bloodworm Whole. I'll try some flakes when I go back to the store tomorrow to return a heater. Thanks again
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #8 
bannlow2471

Be cautious about the blood worms if they are the dehydrated ones ... it has been stated here many times that too many of those can cause bloat/dropsy. One every now and then probably wouldn't hurt, but it's been recommended that they be soaked briefly in some tank water before feeding. When I got my first Betta I was feeding a brand of pellets that I've since learned has a lot of fillers and poor ingredients, and my guy ate them just fine, but not with nearly the enthusiasm he shows for his current brand of pellets (Omega One). When I got my baby Betta I got Hikari Gold and New Life Spectrum pellets, because they are smaller. Hands-down he preferred the New Life Spectrum. I bet if you just give him a few days to settle in, he'll probably start eating. Good luck! Post pictures when you can!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 
khanhny

Thanks for the info bannlow...if I do soak the freeze dried bloodworms first....would that not cause bloat/dropsy? Or will it still have a small chance?

I only have one fish so I don't really want to buy the frozen bloodworms...plus I actually have a worm phobia. So the freeze dried ones are the only ones I can handle (I still squeal and get all queasy, and I pick one out with a veryyyy long tweezer)

Anywho, Ronald Weasley still won't eat his food. But he will if I crush them a little. So I'll just have to do that for now. I wanted to do some r2 fish training school with him...so hopefully he'll take pellets