Betta Fish Forum banner

Alright, time to weigh in, folks.

Tags
fry gender
4K views 69 replies 11 participants last post by  XxxXnoodleXxxX 
#1 ·
Is my Tiny Tina a girl or a Tiny Tim? 0.o I have a collage of pictures, a good dorsal picture, and a crappy drawing of his/her dorsal fin. Can't get him/her to flare. No reaction to mirrors, etc. lol

What's the verdict, betta experts? >.<

See less See more
#33 ·
Can't believe how obsessed he is with surfing. Literally how he spends half his day. o.o
May be because he wishes he was back in the 7 gallon from the pet store. :p
Wish I could put him in our 5 gallon but it's not finished the cycle yet.

#34 ·
Our little man is growing up so fast! :3 His fins are getting bigger by the day it seems. Here are a couple pictures of him from this morning, a few of which where you can see his beautiful blue eyes. He's still a complete spaz, going through fits of hyperactive surfing to sleeping on his leaf at the top of the tank so the lazy bugger doesn't have to move to breathe air. xD

#37 ·
With the body being so light, you should be able to candle. Take a flashlight and shine it at the side of the fish.
If it's a girl, you should be able to see the ovaries

(again, only outlined this time)

if no ovary, not a girl! lol

#39 ·
Jeepers guys, no need to get testy. Sorry, I probably read it wrong. If the males don't have actual ovipositors then why do we still say they can still have them just smaller?

#41 ·
I've outlined the shape that you need to look for. Everything else is pretty standard between the sexes.

So, if there's no BIG triangle that goes up into the tail, it's a boy.

#42 ·
Well with light behind and in front, I don't see a triangle behind/below the stomach/intestines, so I think it is indeed Gay Tony for good. :3

#44 ·
Now just waiting for the stupid cycle to finish on his big tank so the flamboyant little terror can live in his real pad and not the guest suite. lol

#46 ·
That's basically WHAT HE DOES. Seriously all he does is surf and sleep. So he tears back and forth along the glass like a little psycho with jazz hands! That's our Gay Tony in a nutshell.

#49 ·
Good god Gay Tony adorable. His tank is on a small record cabinet beside the counter where our stove is, about two feet shorter at the top of his tank than the counter. I'm stirring soup at the stove and I catch movement in the corner of my eye. I look, and there he is, surfing like a psychopath, in a tiny triangle of space that I could see him in. Literally about an inch high and two inch long triangle, and he's surfing int hat tiny space trying to get my attention. I LOVE THIS FISH.

#50 ·
Managed to snag a quick picture of the little guy surfing back and forth like a madman in the tiniest area imaginable to get my attention. :3

#51 ·
Oh boy. Thought I spotted a triangle with a light behind him/her. Took pictures of the little fishy with alight behind him/her.

What's the verdict, betta experts? Ovaries?

#52 ·
#54 ·
AHaha I know right? I have no idea what they're supposed to look like. I can't find any photo references to compare to. I dunno if I'm just seeing things or what. And the ovipositor/cloaca is still very bright white. :-\

#56 ·
It's possible. But I would say quite unlikely. Usually it's either a female showing male physical traits or a male showing female physical traits. Hence why, for now, he's called Gay Tony. xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.