Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #1 
Red Betta

Water Changes

When do you a water change how much of it should you change. I was thinking of taking the betta and putting it in a small bowl of conditioned water just for the time that the water is being changed. Is this good or bad.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #2 
Nataku

How much and how often you change your water depends on the size of your tank, whether it's cycled or not, and it bioload (how many fish/snails/frogs/what have you living in the tank). We need to know those before we can recommend a water change schedule.

As for taking the betta out and putting him in another cup, this sounds like something you'd be doing in either 100% water changes or very large ones. When I do that on my smaller quarantine tanks, I just take a cup and scoop them out with some of the tank water they're already in, set them aside while the tank is emptied, cleaned and refilled, and then they get to float in the cup in the tank after the new water is in so they acclimate before they get dumped back in.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote