Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 
brittany4444

Exclamation Baby Betta spasms and red spots on gills.

I recently got a "baby betta". It is in a 1.5 gal, heated to 81 but no filter. I understand the babies need extra care and I have been changing water daily and feeding it frozen brine shrimp and micro pellets. I have recently noticed that it seems very twitchy. Every once in a while it will stop swimming, jerk its head and curl its top fin. It also has some red spots under his gills, those were there when I bought it but now they seem strange to me. Does my baby have some kind of parasite or something? How do I treat it?
brittany4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

Is there any way you can maybe cup him and get a picture
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 
brittany4444

I figured out what is was, poor thing has velvet and I accidentally gave it to my other betta. I feel so terrible! I am treating with maracide and hoping for the best.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Keep me posted
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #5 
Kithy

Oh no >.<

If you're sure it's velvet then..

Quote Darkmoon17:
"Velvet
•Symptoms: Can be found by shining a flashlight on your betta. If it looks like it is covered in fine gold of rust colored dust then it has velvet. Clamped Fins, no appetite, darting/rubbing, loss of color, lethargic
•Treatment: It is very contagious so you should treat the entire tank. Treat as you would treat Ick. PP is also my favorite for treating Velvet."
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
(PP is Potassium Permanganate although I have no idea what this is!)

It's generally advised that you keep them in absolute darkness (covering the tank if you need to) while treating velvet.

Don't feel too terrible for transferring it from one fish to another. In all honestly, if any of my fish in either of the two tanks got sick I'd probably transfer it as well. I'm short on cash so I don't have a separate gravel vacuum or anything like that. So I definitely have cross contamination between both tanks.

The best you can do is learn from the little mistake and take care when treating. Best of luck and keep updating and posting if anything changes. Someone will definitely be able to assist you with this.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 
brittany4444

It is day 3 of the maracide treatment. They are both still eating and doing ok. My baby is still having the little twitches but other that that nothing is different. My big guy is slightly less lethargic but is bloated. Is it ok to use Epsom salts with maracide? If yes how much can I use? The velvet patches are still on both of them. Does anyone know how long it takes for maracide to remove velvet?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 
Kithy

When my friend's puffer had velvet it took about a week and a half. That's all the experience I have with velvet though :<
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, twitch