Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Rot can be that way because if the bacteria isn't treated completely, it can come back even more resistant than ever. And sometimes we think we've nailed it completely but there's just enough residual trace that it stays on, stubborn as heck. It's a pain in the neck, ain't it?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #22 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Rot can be that way because if the bacteria isn't treated completely, it can come back even more resistant than ever. And sometimes we think we've nailed it completely but there's just enough residual trace that it stays on, stubborn as heck. It's a pain in the neck, ain't it?
indeed it is, ive had better luck with my other betta but this one is an exception which hopefully wont pose too much trouble for me. his fin regrowth probably will never recover, or take extremly long to do so.

i'll need to drop by that mom/pop store to read the med instruction better ie time limits for treatment but i hope nothing worse happens until i can get the other stronger meds. Quebec is in the dark ages and loves the questionable ____fix meds with tea tree oil extract .
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #23 
nel3

in the past 10 days ive had to put thesame fish into the JFE meds again. its been 3 days i took him off the meds. he hasnt eaten for the past 5 days and its a bit worrying me.

the place where i got the JFE has left the fish items but luckily i'll be going to Plattsburgh tomorrow for meds.

is there any merit in trying Aq salt again on him?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #24 
Sakura8

For fin rot? Yes, it could help. His lack of appetite is a little worrisome though so I'm hoping it's just having been in meds and not something internal. :(
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #25 
nel3

Quote:
For fin rot? Yes, it could help. His lack of appetite is a little worrisome though so I'm hoping it's just having been in meds and not something internal. :(
thank you for the reply Sakura, unfortunately i wont have a chance to try it on him. thanks for all the advice in treating his ailments while he was still alive. i'll still go to Plattsburgh to get maracyn 2 amoung things to be better prepared for such situations.

he passed sometime between 7pm-11pm yesterday. im not too sure what did it but atleast he was in normal clean water for 3 days after the meds stopped. there's no obvious exterior signs of sickness for him. he did lose his appetite after 3 days after starting the 2nd round of 8 day med cycle.

i do feel partially responsible as i have been feeding only 2 pellets a day on any given day. sometimes i overfeed them to balance it out to the 3-4 pellet equivalent. i left the food right in front of his mouth but he never tried to go for it, garlic extract didnt work either.

im sad he's gone though releive in the sense that he wont have to suffer any sort of body rot or just too many reoccurences.

i'll clean out my 2.5g tank and leave it as a hospital tank. i cant understand my 2,5g tank at all. within 4-5 days i get.5-.75 ppm ammonia. a 50wc will only cut out .25 ppm within a few hours. i dont think i'll use it for regular fish use but its much better than a 1g for a hospital tank.

Last edited by nel3; 05-04-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #26 
ModFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
thank you for the reply Sakura, unfortunately i wont have a chance to try it on him. thanks for all the advice in treating his ailments while he was still alive. i'll still go to Plattsburgh to get maracyn 2 amoung things to be better prepared for such situations.

he passed sometime between 7pm-11pm yesterday. im not too sure what did it but atleast he was in normal clean water for 3 days after the meds stopped. there's no obvious exterior signs of sickness for him. he did lose his appetite after 3 days after starting the 2nd round of 8 day med cycle.

i do feel partially responsible as i have been feeding only 2 pellets a day on any given day. sometimes i overfeed them to balance it out to the 3-4 pellet equivalent. i left the food right in front of his mouth but he never tried to go for it, garlic extract didnt work either.

im sad he's gone though releive in the sense that he wont have to suffer any sort of body rot or just too many reoccurences.

i'll clean out my 2.5g tank and leave it as a hospital tank. i cant understand my 2,5g tank at all. within 4-5 days i get.5-.75 ppm ammonia. a 50wc will only cut out .25 ppm within a few hours. i dont think i'll use it for regular fish use but its much better than a 1g for a hospital tank.
So, so sorry! Sounds like you did everything you could. His loss will help others. I've read this thread to see what i can do to help my litte guy who's having some sort of Fin Rot issues.

Thank you all. What a beautiful community of caring Betta lovers.
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #27 
nel3

Thank you very much. I've purchased maracyn two though found no tetracyline. I'll get some kanaplex from the net. Is it worth getting tetracyline and also erythromicin or will the overlap with kanaplex or API gen cure and maracyn two? If so I'll get them next time I go or go nine to do so.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Nel, I wouldn't worry about the tetracycline or erythromycin. I'm 99% sure you're dealing with a gram negative bacteria here and both tetra and erythro only treat gram positive.

Also, I'm so sorry for his loss. :(

Check your tap water. You could have a source of ammonia already in it.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #29 
nel3

Quote:
Nel, I wouldn't worry about the tetracycline or erythromycin. I'm 99% sure you're dealing with a gram negative bacteria here and both tetra and erythro only treat gram positive.

Also, I'm so sorry for his loss. :(

Check your tap water. You could have a source of ammonia already in it.
thank you for the reply, i'll just focus on getting Kanaplex then. btw what does a gram negative bacteria mean?

i wont sugar coat it but its still surprisng. i knew he'd be weak from not eating so the posibility was there but i though he'd last longer or atleast recover and get back to normal. he's now buried in my 6 inch Hypoestes pot. all of my dead fish are still very close by in the long living plants i have. Nelliel lived for 27 months approxiamtely, though the last 21 months were with me.

the api test came in and it detected no ammonia which doesnt surprise me. i did use prime for most of his WC as i do for most of my betta but prime shouldnt be that significant for raising ammonia much. one suspect may be the detrius left behind before and after the wc. i did do gravel vac as part of the 50wc though the aculimation might have warranted a 75wc instead??
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Aquarium Medications and Treatments; Antibiotics, Chemical and Organic. Has some info on bacteria.

How often do you do vacuum cleaning in the tank? I suggest once a week if you can. You'd be so surprised as the junk that gathers under the gravel and yes, it can definitely cause higher ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. I'm glad you don't have ammonia in your tap water; that can make things pretty complicated sometimes if your source water is contaminated.

For water changes . . . well, I'm an advocate for frequent, big water changes but not everyone agrees. My theory is nothing controls the water quality better than having as much clean water go in as possible. I personally don't think that 100% changes remove beneficial bacteria but some people do and that's fine. It's all up to everyone's individual preferences and beliefs. So I'd say do as big a water change as you feel is necessary.