Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #61 
dramaqueen
Banned

dmhalfmoon, how many spawns have you done?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #62 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
dmhalfmoon, how many spawns have you done?
7, almost 8.

Most of my friends and family took them the others are still with me, until I gain some more experience with bagging and shipping, though I've done this before.

My first attempts, supriseingly went well, for a begginer.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #63 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's great. Sounds like you're doing quite well with it.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #64 
MrVampire181

I'm trying :)

No dead ones yet :)
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #65 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's great!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #66 
MrVampire181

I'm happy too, I didn't think I would be that good as to have none of them die.

I've been arguing with myself about which is better, priority or express, I'll look more into it.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #67 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
If I were to keep a betta, It would be in nothing less than 10 gal with filter, and heater, and once a week 20 percent water change.I cannot help but think there is a direct correlation between the numbers of posts regarding sick bettas and the often times small enviornments they are kept in.
I half believe that if there were a tiny globe ,capable of holding water, with a chain attached.. that many would place their bettas in this globe and wear it round their necks.

Bettas are tropical fish. They need the same things all tropical fish need, A tank of no less than five gal ,with healthy biological filter and a heater. It saddens me ,that until people grasp this, there will continue to be the all too numerous posts appearing ,regarding sick bettas,. Fin rot ,fungus,dropsy,bloat,etc ,etc, are nearly always directly related to poor, or deteriorating water quality. Without a cycled tank with filter, there is nothing to break down the waste created by the fish which takes the form of ammonia and or nitrites. Fish become weakened over time and bacterial pathogens,fungus, etc are often the results.
It then becomes most important to use dechlorinator such as PRIME or AMQUEL+ that specifically addresses ammonia,chlorine,and chloramines. This will help detoxify toxins until water change ,,which in anything smaller than five U.S. gal, should be daily to every other day.
Water used should be tapwater with dechlorinator and as stated, heated and filtered. If you can't or won't provide these fish with what they need,not what you think they can get by with,, then god help your selfish ,insensitive,souls.

Now ,, I feel much better for the fishes chances ,,for ignorance has been eliminated from a rather simple equation.8)
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #68 
Jazattackk

They CAN live in a very small tank, or a bowl, but they don't LIKE it. Some people think that just because they can survive in a small place, they like it. It's like you being trapped in a walk in closet, you can survive in it if you get food and air, but you would be especially bored and unhappy. That's why bettas usually just stay at the bottom of the bowl or petstore cups if they are in really small spaces, becuase they have nothing to do. And at the petstore, that guy who told you they like living in small spaces probably told you that becuase he dosn't want you to start complaining and stuff.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #69 
Jazattackk

And bettas should be kept in AT LEAST 2.5 gallons, and 5 gallons or more is what they'd be happiest in
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #70 
veganchick

I think bettas really need between a 1-20g tank, and they are happiest with a 3-10g tank.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote