Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Arrow Getting a little paranoid you can just divide API General cure packet into tenths?

My hospital tank is about 1.5 gallons it's a sterilite container that is 6 quarts. I divided the packet meant for a 10 gallon into ten equal parts. I've read this before. However I just a post advising to use 5 cups of water then more water to equal your tank size for one packet. I just dosed about 30 minutes ago.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 
pittipuppylove

I apologize if I misunderstand your post, but is this post you're referring to saying that even a smaller tank should get the full packet? If so, I'd think that this could be incredibly dangerous - the fish could be at risk for an overdose, especially since they would be getting over six times the medication than is needed for treatment in your case.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 
isochronism

If I understand correctly, one packet is intended for a one time use for 10 gallons.
If you are using 1/10 of the packet for a 1.5 gallon tank, that should be correct. If much more was added, I would remove all water and start again. Too little would be much better than too much. I myself would tend to use less than recommended dose per gallon to start with, as I am unaware of that product.

Last edited by isochronism; 05-02-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: addition
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well, technically yes.... You can take a packet and divide it into tenths. Then use 1.5 tenths to treat your 1.5 gal tank.... BUT I would worry about getting all ten "tenths" to equivalent amounts. If they aren't equal, you run the risk of over/underdosing.

(I've done this type of process, where I divided meds into tenths, but I have access to a balance/scale. I was able to weigh a single packet, and then measure out 1/10th of the packet.)

The reason it's suggested that you dissolve the med in water, then measure out the water is because this gives a better approximation of the correct dosage. For example, if you dissolve one packet in ten ounces of water, you could then just add 1.5 ounces of water to your tank.

------------------------------------------------

Re the post that said to use 5 cups of water then more water to equal your tank size for one packet. This will only work if your tank is 10 gallons. Otherwise, as pittipuppylove said, you'll end up with an overdosage of the medication.

Here's what I would do:
Find a measuring cup that that shows you either 10 or 20 ounces.

a) 10 ounces: Add one packet. Fill to 10 ounce line with water. Dissolve the meds. Remove 1.5 ounces, and add to your tank. (You'll have 8.5 ounces remaining in the measuring cup.)

b) 20 ounces: Add one packet. Fill to 20 ounce line with water. Dissolve the meds. Remove 3 ounces, and add to your tank. (You'll have 17 ounces remaining in the measuring cup.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I've read that a better option than trying to divide packets is to get a 10 gallon bucket (try walmart, but I *know* you can get them at a local feed store or farm store), put all the packet in there, let it dissolve, and then take however much water you need out of that bucket and put it into your hospital tank. That way you *know* you're getting the accurate dose. (Just heat the bucket water with a spare heater to keep it from getting too cold.)

I dealt with the same problem until I saw that tip about the bucket on another forum. :) This is **SOOOO** much easier. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote