Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That definatly looks like a tumor. Your care is really good (the only flaw is that you feed him flakes- I would be trying really hard to get him on to new life spectrum or omega one). The thing with constipation and dropsy is that it effects both sides of the betta. That's why this looks like a tumor. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to treat a tumor but make him as comfortable as possible and give him the most ideal conditions you can.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #12 
SevyJane

I was looking back through older pictures of him, and that side was always a big more bulgy than the other. The size it's at now is significantly larger and that difference was sudden.
PM sent.
SevyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #13 
SevyJane

I did get New Life Spectrum+ pellets, but he won't touch them. I tried using a garlic suppliment but he still wouldn't eat it. The flakes I use are Omega One. Do they have pellets or frozen food?

Last edited by SevyJane; 05-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Omega one does have pellets and they are really good for bettas.

You could try fasting him for three days then giving him the new life spectrum, or feeding both at the same time. It won't cure his tumor by any means but its a little better for him.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Hi SevyJane and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about Pink Floyd. From the picture, it does look like a possible fatty tumor. If this is indeed the case, nothing can be done except make him comfortable. Bettas with tumors can live comfortably for months.

Treatment-wise, how long did you treat him for parasites and is he still in epsom salts? If he's not still in epsoms, I'd put him back in at 1 tsp per gallon to keep fluid buildup down. It won't eliminate it completely but it will help. Also, have you noticed anything unusual about his poo? Not pooing or pooing white stringy stuff?

Don't worry about feeding flakes. The only reason pellets are recommended is because they aren't as messy but with the number of water changes you do, that's not a problem. Some fish simply won't eat one type of food. As long as the flakes are good quality, it's fine. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #16 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

SevyJane have you ever tried doing a Espom salt treatment for him ? I have no idea what might be causing the swelling but I do know Espom salt will help to reduce swelling. Its 1 teaspoon per gallon and use only the unscented type and dissolve it in some warm treated water and add it slowly to his tank. He is a beauty ! I wish I could be of more help but hang in there I am sure someone can help you figure this out.

And that someone is here...YAY !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #17 
SevyJane

I did the parasite treatment for about a week. He is still in epsom salt. Pooing is normal. No white or stringy stool.
Poor little guy. I will keep him as comfortable as possible.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #18 
Sakura8

:( A week should have been more than enough to shift a heavy load of parasites. Drats, it's as I feared. It's looking like fatty tumor. :( I'm sorry.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote