Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #1 
Foozle

New to Bettas - water flow, food questions

Hello. Completely new to bettas; I hope you don't mind a few questions.

Today I inherited a tiny little betta in a vase from a former co-worker. She doesn't seem to be in very good condition (listless, just sits on the bottom of the vase, fins are held in real close to her body, not real interested in food) and I'm certain that the info her former owner was given was completely wrong, especially after reading through the faq.

I tossed the plant on top and did a water change which seemed to perk her up a bit, but I'd like to get her into a larger home asap.

While I do have a 5 gallon that I could pull out for her, I really don't have anywhere to put it on a permanent basis. Can I put her in a tank with a school of cories? It's a 40 gallon long, but it has a rather strong current. The pet store info said to avoid moving water, but it's pretty calm on the side farthest from the filter.

Also, I picked her up some betta pellets and freeze dried bloodworms. It didn't say to on the package, but do the bloodworms need to be soaked before feeding? And would frozen mosquito larva be better for a treat or should I feed those to her as a staple? (My cories are crazy for them, so I have them on hand.)
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I think your betta would do fine with cories.Freeze dried food should be soaked before feeding to avoid digestive problems. The pellets should be her staple food and the bloodworms can be given as a once or twice a week treat. She can also eat the frozen bloodworms.I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #3 
Sens

Welcome to the forum!
I also agree with Dramaqueen ... keep the pellets for her daily feeding and bloodworms once or twice a week...
Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #4 
Foozle

Awesome. Thank you both very much.

What about the frozen mosquito larva? The faq mentioned them as a main food source in the wild, but should I only give them to her as a treat like the bloodworms? Or feed them to her more regularly in addition to the pellets?

I've got her acclimating now; she seems very interested in the tank - especially when a cory shot up to grab some air near her bag. She practically danced in place and tried to get through the plastic.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mosquito larvae and bloodworms are the same thing. Like the freeze dried kind, feed the frozen as a once or twice a week treat.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #6 
Foozle

I'm not sure I understand. The mosquito larvae I have are completely different from the frozen bloodworms I've purchased in the past. The picture shows live, I think, but after thawing that's pretty much what they look like.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hmmm...mine don't look like that. Mine are brown. Maybe the frozen look different than the freeze dried.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #8 
IonBaller07

My freeze dried blood worms look like this, except a little shorter strands:
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #9 
Foozle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonBaller07 View Post
My freeze dried blood worms look like this, except a little shorter strands:
Yuppers. That's almost exactly what my freeze dried bloodworms look like, though mine are a bit darker red. Not the same packaging, but almost exactly the same as this:

The frozen mosquito larvae look just like the nasty little clear whitish brown live critter in the pic.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #10 
IonBaller07

I cant help you there Ive never seen one of those (nor do I want to)
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote