Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #1 
Darth

Looking For Classic Cambodian

Hello folks, I am searching for the elusive Cambodian Betta.
Back when I started Breeding these were Common, not so today
I blame this on a lot of things I wont go into because it really ticks me off.
However here is what one looks like, they are basically a white or pink bodied fish with red fins, a clean break in colors they also came with Blue fins, I am not interested in those.
PLEASE if you know of anyone tell them to pm me asap!!
I would prefer HM.

Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
Jayloo

I've decided the only two strains I'm going to work on are red and red Cambodian. I'm more of a traditional betta enthusiast. Don't really care for the newer strains that have been marketed. Examples- dragon scale, dumbo ear, excessive marbling. I like clean colored, well formed fish. You basically cannot find a red without some sort of iridescence on them. And I haven't seen a true Cambodian advertised in a while. Not one of quality... I got into the hobby ten years ago and they were all over the place. I left the hobby while attending college and years later I come back to all these new strains too see my favorites wiped out and tainted. Anyhow I will end my rant now. I have a small spawn of cambo x red bf HM. You can see my spawn log for details. I will be updating every couple of days. They aren't for sale or anything yet as I'm not sure of their quality. Was just a spawn to get back into the swing of things!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Talk to basement bettas. She may have some or if not she might be able to recommend someone.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 
Darth

Thanks Matt, I talk to her all the time on the phone, no luck there...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm surprised this strain has gotten so rare. It's really dissapointing as well. I thought I remember hearing that she had some but I guess not. It must be so neat to be able to talk to her!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

I saw one seller on Aquabid who had some cambodian females... But they are not halfmoon. Is that okay?

EDIT:
Here they are. They are crowntails: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1367861406

But the seller's in the US.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 05-04-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 
Darth

That's fine but, I will need a male also...the fact is I too am an old school breeder and I can tell you unless the IBC does something to save STRAIN's
instead of breeding for the reddest or blackest fish and recognize other things
soon, the gene pool is slowly being depleted.
The fact is, the Cambodian like the Spanish Barb Horse was bred to everything out there so little stock is available.
Here is another shocker {Not really} breeding red to Cambodian to reduce black edges was Ludacris, why?
Because the body of a Cambodian will NEVER be as dark as another colored fish because the very same thing that gives them the light color also reduces the black layer, I know I went to school for genetics and ichthyology.
So that was blunder nuber one, stop me now because there are more!!
Breeders out there breed to the standards set by IBC and this has a definite
crunch on strains...why not see the very best BLACK LACE?
The very best Dragon? etc etc.
How many of you have ever heard the term "Oriental Black" or "Cornflower" Better yet, when is the last time you saw one?
Ask yourself why..
I know there are some Cambos in HM out there its just finding the right person..so..I will keep searching!!
Soon, if it keeps going we will have perfect fish in Light red, Blue and a couple other colors............
When is the last time you heard of "Oriental Black" or when have you ever seen a "Cornflower betta"?

Last edited by Darth; 05-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #8 
Darth

Thanks Fenghuang, I bet if he has those, he also has the HM...question is, will he get off of them?
The Cambo Mlale will look just like that only dirtier white or pinkish colored.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #9 
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I'm surprised this strain has gotten so rare. It's really dissapointing as well. I thought I remember hearing that she had some but I guess not. It must be so neat to be able to talk to her!
She has some VERY good thoughts about things to help the IBC regain its former glory, like I remember from 1975..back then things were ALOT different!!
And I was PROUD to be a member!!
She is also a very good breeder and judge of form.. she is also misunderstood alot she always has the fish in mind and how to improve them..her ideas are fresh and the Lord knows that's EXACTLY what has to happen to make changes that are sorley needed in that organization.
She sometimes seems like she is coming off hard, but she doesn't have that intention what so ever.
I would rather hear facts and truth over sugar coated mistruths!!
She also would like to see the Veiltail class revised, yes you heard me right!!
There I came out and said it!!

Last edited by Darth; 05-04-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #10 
Jayloo

I agree with Darth. Even strains that are still around and popular are even the same quality as jut a couple years ago. Example: reds with so much iridescence, blues/greens with all the red wash. It seems the focus has transitioned into "this is an odd fish and this is and odd fish. Let us cross these two odd fish and create more odd fish and call it unique..."
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote