Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1 
manojvaz

Betta fish fins loosing color

Hello All,

My name is Joe. I am a new bee to betta. I have a betta since a month. I only noticed today that the edge of his fins are discolored. I have him in 1 gallon bowl fish. I change 1/4th of water every alternate day. I feed him with chicken liver. I get an inch of it fresh every week. Freeze it and feed him 6 pieces of mustard's size only once a day. I put him to fast once a week. Is there something wrong with the water?. I use tap water coming from the underground. No chlorine in that unlike the municipality supplied water which is treated with chlorine.

Any and all advice would be a great help. I have attached its pics.

Thanks,
Joe
Attached Images

manojvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 
weaver72

He looks depressed you don't even have a plant for him LOL!
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum! You have a very pretty fish!

The white on the edges of his fins is actually good! It indicates new growth.

If you notice that the edges are dark or discolored, or appear ragged, that would indicate a problem such as fin rot.

Since he's in a one gallon bowl, I would increase the water changes. You're doing a good job by changing the water every other day, but I recommend changing a greater percentage of it each time.

Can you add more water to his bowl? This will give him room to swim. Also, toxins such as ammonia build up quickly in small containers. The more water you give him, the better the water quality will be.

I have never heard of feeding Bettas chicken liver. So I won't comment on that. (My bettas get pellets that have fish ingredients.)

What's the temperature in your home? Bettas are tropical fish, and like warm water. About 26C-27C would be ideal for them. I don't live in a tropical region, so my tanks have heaters. But the climate near your home may be warm enough that you don't need a heater.

Bettas also like to have hiding places. Some people have live plants, others have silk ones. Some people add clean cups or terracotta pots, which they use to hide in. Plus, adding these things makes the tank itself more attractive to look at!

It sounds like your water comes from a well, so you aren't worried about chlorine. Do you know if there dissolved metals, such as iron, in the water? If so, you may still want to add some water conditioner to remove them.

Edited to add: Here's a picture of a bowl that has live plants in it. Something like this looks nice. The plants improve the water quality, and give the betta places to hide. You don't have to use live plants, but giving the fish places to hide usually reduces stress for the fish.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 
manojvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum! You have a very pretty fish!

The white on the edges of his fins is actually good! It indicates new growth.

If you notice that the edges are dark or discolored, or appear ragged, that would indicate a problem such as fin rot.

Since he's in a one gallon bowl, I would increase the water changes. You're doing a good job by changing the water every other day, but I recommend changing a greater percentage of it each time.

Can you add more water to his bowl? This will give him room to swim. Also, toxins such as ammonia build up quickly in small containers. The more water you give him, the better the water quality will be.

I have never heard of feeding Bettas chicken liver. So I won't comment on that. (My bettas get pellets that have fish ingredients.)

What's the temperature in your home? Bettas are tropical fish, and like warm water. About 26C-27C would be ideal for them. I don't live in a tropical region, so my tanks have heaters. But the climate near your home may be warm enough that you don't need a heater.

Bettas also like to have hiding places. Some people have live plants, others have silk ones. Some people add clean cups or terracotta pots, which they use to hide in. Plus, adding these things makes the tank itself more attractive to look at!

It sounds like your water comes from a well, so you aren't worried about chlorine. Do you know if there dissolved metals, such as iron, in the water? If so, you may still want to add some water conditioner to remove them.

Edited to add: Here's a picture of a bowl that has live plants in it. Something like this looks nice. The plants improve the water quality, and give the betta places to hide. You don't have to use live plants, but giving the fish places to hide usually reduces stress for the fish.
If the white edges indicate growth am happy for having kept him happy till time.

I'll definitely increase the water change to 2litres. I added 1.25litres of water per you suggestion for more swim space. I'll fill the water close to the brim of the bowl with the lid available next week at the fish shop. Chicken live was suggested by my friend Martin who kept it for 3 years or so. The temperature of the water in the bowl is exactly 27C(I just got a thermometer from the pet store today :) as I was worried of the water temperature). I'll add a plant to it next week or so. The pet store would have it available by that time. Certainly it does make the tank look more attractive like the one you've attached. The water I use is pumped by a submersible pump underground, so logically there wouldn't be any chlorine. Yet, I add de-chlorinator for safety. I am not sure about the dissolved metals. How do I find that? Is there anything more I could do to keep him happy? Is there a fish that would go well with him?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

It sounds like you're trying to give him a really good home! That's great!

If you add a lid to the bowl, make sure there are at least 5 to 8 cm (2-3 inches) of air space. Bettas breathe air from the surface, so you need to leave some air between the water and lid, in order for them to breathe.

A water temp of 27C is perfect!

Since he is in a small bowl, I would not add another fish. If you want to make a community tank, with other fish, I recommend going to at least a 40L (10 gal) tank. Obviously, this is a whole different type of tank setup from what you have now!

Bettas don't mind being alone. In nature, they are solitary fish, and like to have a large territory to themselves.

Don't worry about the dissolved metals. If you're adding water conditioner, it's not an issue. And most likely, you won't have a problem, since you're using underground water.

As long as the new growth on his fins is white, that's good. He looks good in the pictures that you posted. (I love his color!)

It sounds like you're giving him a good home. Keep us updated on him, and post some pictures when you add the new plant!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #6 
manojvaz

Thank you for your responses LittleBlueFishlet. Yeah, I am trying my best to keep him happy and alive till the judgment day . I know I am being greedy here.

I was going through a website which gave a list of compatible fishes to Betta. I do have a 10 gallon aquarium with a pair of 3 spot gourami, a male and female swordtail. I had two females but lost one couple of days back. The male female sword tail fish ratio suggested was 1:2-3. Got to get one more to add. And finally a single small marble angel. The angel lost its partner due to nipping and bully by the gouramis. The lone ranger is doing good, not sure for how long. The swords have their fins clamped. Do you know the reason? I have no plans of adding any more to this and in case I am to lose all of them, I intend to house the Betta in there with compatible companions. Here is the list in the site http://bettacare101.com/tankmates2/ What is your say?

I have increased the water level similar to the one in the picture you attached. The temperature is shooting up every passing day here. It is like being in an oven . Fortunately I live in the ground floor with two floors above me and my home is comparatively cooler. I am finding it a little difficult in matching the temperature of the water to change. The temperature in the bowl was around 28C. I had the change water close to the bowl for 24hours and when I added the water the temperature was 30C. After couple of hours it was around 29C. Would this harm the fish? I am just waiting for the cover and the plant at the fish shop. I'll post the picture once I am done with the complete thing. Also, what purpose does a drift wood serve? Is it just a eye catcher
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's quite a bit of fish for a 10 gallon!

Angels usually need taller tanks of 20 gallons or more I believe and the 3 spot gourami, most likely a blue gourami, also needs 20 gallons or more. All of those fish can get really big, gourami's especially will be aggrssive with each other.

So your swords are probably really stressed with that amount of fish in there, it's kind of like being stuck in a four foot by four foot room with three other bullies, not exactly fun.

But otherwise, yes your care looks great! I do not suggest putting the betta in there with those companions and here's why.
Gouramis and Betta's are kind of like cousins, they both have a labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe air. And they will fight with each other. Angels I believe like to nip things with long fins so that's not good either. The Betta will either harrass your swords (because of their longer fins and colors, bettas will go after anything with long tails and colors. But of course some betta's are extremely docile and in which case this can be done carefully but still not recommended) or your swords will go after the betta.

Increasing hiding spots like plants and little hide outs keeps stress down in most fish, Betta's especially like them when they are stressed. So I suggest getting some of those if you don't already have them :)

And about the water change, as long as you acclimate him to the new water temp, so if you can float him in the warmer water for about 15 minutes he will be good. But if you just throw him in, it can kind of shock him. It's like being in a/c all the time and then when you go out on that hot summer day, it doesn't feel good lol

Driftwood is good for most fish (except cichlids) because it can reduce pH levels, but it doesn't just drop the levels like using the chemical pH Down (which I never recommend. Using chemicals like that can really hurt the fish) Betta's tend to like a lower pH level but will adapt to pretty much anything you put them in. Some of my betta girls live in 7.4-7.6 pH level while some of my boys are at a 6.5 range, but they are all happy.

Driftwood also makes the water softer I believe which can be good for certain fish, it also releases tannins which is what I think makes the water soft. But it can "stain" the water to make it darker like you would see in a river or something. Tetras especially like this as they come from a "black water" environment naturally. But there are ways to get rid of most tannins so that it's not leeching into your water if you don't want that Black water effect :)

I think I got most of it ^^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #8 
manojvaz

Thank you lilnaugrim for your reply.

I agree with you on the space requirement. You are right, the blue gouramis are aggressive against each other. One of it has its tail fin split. The angle is only an inch. He always stays aloof from the rest. I have never seen gouramis chase the sword as they are similar in size 2 and a quarter inch. The female sword is hefty to male and she is chasing him lol. I have always heard and read of the other way. The male stays still at the bottom and is the case with female occasionally. The gouramis are enjoying themselves though. While writing this I notice the swords idle at the bottom. It's very depressing to see them that way. I'll put in some hiding spots for reducing stress.

I wouldn't house the betta with these folks. Could you please re-read what I had written previously and answer. I'd love a definitive answer as against the website I listed.

I change one forth water(10liters) for the 10 gallon aquarium and 2liters for the one and a half gallon betta bowl every alternate day to make sure the water parameters is not an issue. The temperature in the bowl is 29C and it is 32C in aquarium.

On the water change, you are right if it is a full water change. What if it is a partial one like I perform every alternate day? The acclimated water temperature seems to be two degrees higher than the one in aquarium or bowl.

The drift wood isn't staining the water and good to know of its use. How are you having all you bettas? Housed them separately or ?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sorry, I tend to let my adhd get the better of me while reading and I skip all over the place so I thought I had read you were putting him in there with him but now I see you had mentioned if there was nothing else in the tank.

That angel will get to be about 6 inches long though, in such a confined space it will have stunted growth and eventually die. So either you can get rid of it or get a nice big tank to put it in :)

As for that site, it all looks fine except probably none of them are good for a 10 gallon except one ADF or a snail or two. Most problems come in when you have to get more than just a few fish to keep it in a shoal. All cory cats need to be in a group, or shoal, to feel secure and happy. If their numbers are below 4 or 5 they can get very stressed which makes them open for disease.

So Cories, Otos, and white cloud minnows need to be in a group to be happy. Your 10 gallon won't be able to sustain a good group of either of these. Even when cycled it might not be very healthy for a group of 4 cories and a betta.

I don't suggest White Cloud Minnows in a 10 gallon either because they, like all other minnows, danios and tetras (the torpedo bodied ones) love to swim all around and if they don't have room to swim with an adequate size group, they will get stressed and possibly become nippy which would be unfortunate for your Betta.

However you could get shrimp, the only problem with shrimp is that sometimes the Betta can look at them like a nice expensive snack so you'll have to have LOTS of tiny hidey holes and plants for the shrimp to survive. But while some Betta's like them for snacks, others could care less.

For a partial water changes, yeah you can just pour the new water into the bowl, try to go slowly so that he doesn't blow all over the place but it should be fine if it's a couple of degrees off.

And all of my Betta's except my girls are in seperate tanks. My 10 gallon is split three ways and one Betta in each of them. Then my 5.5 all for Lord Mercury because he is an all-mighty lord and needs every inch he can get lol and then I have 2 3 gallons, one of them is housing two baby Betta's though, it's still split.

And my 9 girls are in my sorority tank which is 33 gallons and heavily planted. Females can be just as aggressive as males though so it's still a risk putting them together.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 
manojvaz

That's okay lilnaugrim and thank you for your reply.

Would a 10 gallon house a betta alone?. I told my wife we get a big one but she refused. She was right, as we live in a rented accommodation and the living room is too small for anything bigger than a 10 gallon. What in the world would fit in a 10 gallon. I don't want a lone ranger, say put in the betta just in case I lose all those present. Other than Betta, could you please list 3 or 4 fishes all of the same kind or whatever for this 10G. How about only 5 tiger barbs? I am a novice to keeping fish. I just started couple of months back and learned a lot. When I buy a new home for us God willing in days to come, I would love a 150 gallon planted community tank. I get mesmerized at the very sight of those lovely planted community tank at the pet shop. Hope my dream is fulfilled soon.

Goodness me how are you managing so many? I wanted only a single large tank for living room beautification besides the passion I had when young. I would also require your advice on a plant that I am about to set in the bowl. I don't quite know its name. The pet keeper told it is a very small plant which grows without the need of any fertilizer. I'll be going tomorrow to check on it and let you know when I have it.

I won't add any more to my 10G. The swords are very much stressed. The blue gouramis are doing cool. You know what, I had intended to add a single attractive looking fish from every different specie across the globe in my 10G, 6 in number though . After browsing through the Internet and from knowledgeable sources I found my thought more stupid than nothing

Could it be a case of the fish trying to rest/sleep when its idling at the bottom of the tank? Why do angels require tall tanks? I bet the one I have would ever become an adult with him being alone and the stress affecting him.