Betta Fish Forum banner

Female Betta

2K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
My son has a female betta. He did have a male before and they are quite different in looks. When we first got her she was brown and had regular size fin. Just in the last couple days she's turned more blue (especially on her fins) and seems to have "sprouted" two thin fins or whatnot close to her mouth. Is she developing? Or going through a stage? Did I get her when she was a baby and she's now "maturing"?

#3 · (Edited)
I think you are referring to her pectoral fins, look at this picture: (its a male but same idea)

When you looked at her before she was probably just nervous and holding them close to her body or you just werent paying that close of attention because they are rather small. They are normal and they might have grown bigger or became larger since she was in clean water but Im sure they have always been there.

#5 ·
You could have bought a male...I've seen "Females" so small it should have been labeled "Unsexed"

#11 ·
Here's some pictures. Here she is when he first got her.

And here she is today

We've only had her a couple of weeks. That first pic was taken on the 6th, when we got her. I see she did have those fins, but they were kind of tucked under her.

#21 ·
Here's some pictures. Here she is when he first got her.

And here she is today

We've only had her a couple of weeks. That first pic was taken on the 6th, when we got her. I see she did have those fins, but they were kind of tucked under her.
How come walmarts females always look like they are wild caught?

#14 ·
Really? Stress stripes? Poor baby!! We did get her at WalMart. I always feel sorry for them there...

She's such a sweetie. She seems like she's always hungry too. And very attentive when myself or my son comes in the room.

#20 ·
Some can get bigger than males, these ones are usually past 8 months of age.

#24 ·
flakes? since when do bettas eat those?

#25 ·
There are flakes that are acceptable for bettas, most arent though. Mine steals flakes from my neons but the ingredients are about the same.

Edit: Is that look bad for the female bettas? Because I rather like it :)

#28 ·
There are flakes that are acceptable for bettas, most arent though. Mine steals flakes from my neons but the ingredients are about the same.

Edit: Is that look bad for the female bettas? Because I rather like it :)
Bettas are snobs and are very picky.

#27 ·
I don't believe in stress marks in younger bettas, they have not colored up yet.

In older bettas (3+ months) if they show these then they are stress marks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.