Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #1 
NoobFishOwner

HELP ME PLEASE:( i dont know what to do.

okay so i'm a new fish owner, but unfortunately I have no idea what i'm doing.. i thought a beta fish would be easy to handle but I've run into some problems. she was originally in a 1 gallon tank with just gravel an aeration stone, a few larger rocks and a light. The water would get cloudy and I would have to change it all the time. then she started acting funny, either staying at the bottom or top of the tank 24/7. I realized that her water temp was way below what it should have been. now she is in a new 5 gallon tank with a water heater and a filter, new gravel and the same aeration stone. but I noticed that her fins (particularly her tail fin) was disappearing. Now its almost completely gone. I bought Tetra's fungus guard tablet and I administered half of it to my tank, but the directions say something about removing carbon? Can someone please tell me what I need to do? I really don't want lil blue to die :(
Filter type: Marina i25 internal filter
NoobFishOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #2 
Starchild21

It sounds like fin rot.
This info was taken from Darkmoons Betta Fish Disease and Treatment Part 1 thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

I'm slightly new when it comes to Bettas being sick so this is the best I can give you until another member comes along who knows more then me :)
Starchild21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 
SheilaandherBettas

It's my understanding that the carbon in a filtration system removes the medication. You'll want to take out the carbon so the medication stays in the water. I looked at images of your filter type. Maybe just remove the panel that has the filter in it. Or you could unplug the filter and continue using the airstone to circulate the water. Hope lil blue will be alright.
SheilaandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clueless, filter, fin rot, sick