Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 
NightGal

Pet Store Find

Found a female straight off the truck at PetsMart, she is surprisingly pretty and healthy (I'm so used to seeing bettas at walmart with cloudy 1 inch water) since I had my 3 year old with me though we didn't make it out without buying a pretty male.

The female looks pretty good, but I'm not familiar with CT show standards, I'm actually still in the process of building my barracks before I start buying stock and breeding.

Anyways, what do you think of these two, I know the topline on the male really drops, but he is a pretty guy. and for the brief time they were together without the card between them, he was really flaring up for her but I never could have my camera ready. Since I was doing their daily water change I stuck him up against a mirror to get a flared picture (dang those rounded corners) for your viewing pleasure.

NightGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 
NightGal

Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Basically form of CT is in general the same as for HM.
The male is pretty nice, a bit hunched backed, but nothing too serious. If you breed them - select fry that looks like daddy (fins) to breed further. You female seems to need a lot of improving - but she isn't flaring so I could be wrong.

I suggest you learn as much about their water requirements before you breed CTs. They need more specific water prams to maintain their beautiful fins (I'm not into CT).

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #4 
Darth

I agree Indi, the female is not s very good one for breeding.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #5 
NightGal

Thank you, I've been trying to find some standards, but I don't think I'll be breeding this pair. The female is TINY. Like only 1 inch long.

Can anyone post a link as to the current standards for males and females. I've been researching as much as I can, but I can't seem to find any reliable information on CTs. Kind of frustrating actually.

I joined the IBC and I'm still sorting through all the information available there, it's so much its mind blowing! But in a good way :D
Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The male is nice (especially for a petstore find) but his color isn't ideal and his fins aren't perfect. Like others have pointed out, the female isn't great.

Honestly, if you are looking to get high quality fry, I would order a nice ct pair off of aquabid. Cross rays look really cool.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 
NightGal

I have been banned from aquabid by my husband until I get everything up and running. :D
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #8 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGal View Post
Thank you, I've been trying to find some standards, but I don't think I'll be breeding this pair. The female is TINY. Like only 1 inch long.

Can anyone post a link as to the current standards for males and females. I've been researching as much as I can, but I can't seem to find any reliable information on CTs. Kind of frustrating actually.

I joined the IBC and I'm still sorting through all the information available there, it's so much its mind blowing! But in a good way :D
You need to be an IBC member to get the standards. I just did a review of a CT.. but can't post to another site. Suffice it to say, you want the same outline as a HM. then you go one step further and look at fin reduction. The female has some issues with fins, may not have been raised in best conditions. And her web reduction not real good. I have found most spawns take after the female in type/form.. so you really need to spend money there and get a good one if you are serious about breeding a line. Otherwise get a fish comparable in size to male and have fun. Just make sure you can deal with water changes and finding homes for a lot of fish if you are successful. Bettas are a lot of WORK.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote