Betta Fish Forum banner

Is it alright to switch tanks?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I have had 12 smaller fish (not betas) which unfortunately all died because of a disease I'm not able to 'diagnose'. But, I thoughtlessly used their net on one of my favorite betas and because of this he died two days ago.

I've washed out his 5 gallon tank with hot water, including his plastic plants and bridge. Now, my question is - can I use his old tank, decor and plants for one of my other betas? I believe he had either ich or velvet so I'm not sure if it'll spread to my other healthy beta. Is it worth cleaning out again? And if so, should I use bleach or something? I've heard from many not to use cleaning products but I really can't stand to lose another one of my babies.

#2 ·
I would think it would be ok, but it probably depends on what the disease was in the first place. If your really worried about it your local petstore probably has some stuff too clean it out with. Or you could use vinegar but that stuff stinks.

#4 ·
I used vinegar and water to clean a tank someone gave me. I don't know if any fish died in it or not but it turned out ok. I cleaned with half water and half vinegar. Yes, it does stink but it works. It needs to be rinsed REALLY good. I was told to rinse until the smell is gone.

#5 · (Edited)
+ 1 on the vinegar. Am I the only one who likes the smell of vinegar? I think the reason that I like the smell is that I associate it with germ killing ability and cleanliness... :-D

Most, if not all, fish illness/disease/parasites require water as a medium in order to thrive so by letting something dry out completely (after cleaning) will ensure that "icky" things are not spread.

#9 ·
Looooove vinegar. I use it to clean EVERYTHING. The smell usually neutralizes itself pretty quickly so I wouldn't even worry about the smell too much. Even if you hate it, it's only for a few minutes.

Also make sure everything DRIES really well. This will help ensure that no viruses or bacteria or anything can live on the surface. I would dry it out SUPER well and then maybe let it sit in a really warm (and not humid) room or outside in the sun for a day or a day and a half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.