Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 
angelfish11788

thinking of breeding, ton of questions

ok, So been thinking this over forever. I want to stick to HM plakats and DTHM or HM. OK, have my aquabid boys ready and getting females soon. I have read and been youtubing for ever but want to here it from you. What is all that is needed. ATM i have a 29 long i coud do for a sorority. a 5 and 10 gallon i could use for the actual breeding dance. I have several 20 longs i could use for as a grow out till seperation. I can get deli cups or beanie holders. my friend can get me a culture of microworms going. SO questions what do you do to heat. I know most of you dont heat each individual tank. not reall wanting to mess with sumps again. I know some do reptile heat mats or heat tap, but all of them say dont use with water due to getting hot and tank cracking. unless if i keep them on a stat. any helpful insight would be great. Also since i am not showing i guess this will be a hobbie as me holding back my best and selling off rest.
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 
rubinthebetta

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87172

and

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065

These two should answer most of your questions, but if you need more info, plenty here will be happy to help.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
angelfish11788

oh wow thanks, I posted on the go and really should of did more searching, thank you
Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #4 
Myates

As for heating, a lot of people have separate fish rooms and use ceramic heaters.
Also another way is large shallow (and clear) plastic tubs filled with water + aquarium heaters.. but the water gets scummy and a chance for unwanted insects breeding and the humidity is bad in summer.
Flexwatt heat tape is also used by many breeders, placed on each shelf with a thermostat to control the temp.
Heating all the jars/containers is vital, so any of those 3 ways are what you are looking at if not using a barrack system.

Price wise - cheapest is probably the separate room, the electric bill will go up some (will anyways with breeding), the next cheapest is the container thing, but that takes up more space and depending upon size (how many) of containers the price can go up considerably for the heaters.
The Flexwatt isn't so bad, and depending upon amount you need can run from $130+.

The heat tape, certain ones like the Flexwatt is safe to use, it's protected - and as long as you get the clips and electric/aluminum tape, thermostat, then you shouldn't have any issues with water, etc. GFCI outlet or portable plug (can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot for under $20) is a good idea to help prevent getting fried by short circuits.

Seedling mats are good as well, water proof.. just a bit more pricey. Will also require a thermostat.

It all depends on how much room you have available to breed (needs LOTS) and how much you are planning to breed (to see what would be easiest for container heating).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
angelfish11788

thanks it will be in my fish room which stays a constand 75, I keep and occasionally breed ball pythons so i know all about heat tape. I have a descent amount of space, all of my essentual equipment is bought except for containers for seperating. thinking of getting shelving and doing some kind of mats or tape. atm moment my fish room consists, of a 125, gold fish tank, a 125, Sa/Ca community, a 125 community, 100 Jag tank along with 2 small 20 long barrack systems for my boys. I may start with hm first as I think they may sell quicker than HM plakats. money is not my goal neither is showing. It is for getting cool fish and jsut well being invalved with fish period. That is why i want to start with halfmoons or DTHMs. I think people when i do sell will pick them up quicker than the big plakats. So less room for jaring
Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #6 
Basement Bettas

To breed bettas you need closer to 82*. Water tends to run about 4 degrees cooler than the room. So you either need a really warm fish room or you will need to heat the breeding tanks.

i use the reptile tape under my spawn tanks. Will eventually put it under more tanks as it lasts longer than the heaters.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #7 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
To breed bettas you need closer to 82*. Water tends to run about 4 degrees cooler than the room. So you either need a really warm fish room or you will need to heat the breeding tanks.

i use the reptile tape under my spawn tanks. Will eventually put it under more tanks as it lasts longer than the heaters.

Basement bettas I LOVE YOUR barrack videos and other aswell. sorry i should of clarified, I will heat them aswell, just saying that it is kinda warm down there to begin with. I am all out and excited about this and I know i can take care of fry but it scares me a bit, think it is odd anticiipation

Last edited by angelfish11788; 05-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.