Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #1 
Agent13
Reference Team

Unhappy Have a true rescue and need help!

I'm warmed in my heart when the events of today evolved. Headed to my fav Petco that is ...well so scared of my sons judgment that they are very care oriented lol. Honestly today blew me away. I have stopped and looked at this beautiful EE half moon many times but he has been sick looking and now obvious. Assistant manager approached me and said that the manager(off today) said that if he saw me and my kids to offer the fish at $4 like the cheap ones instead of $20...but get this! They also offered a new 2.5 gallon bow front, filtered lighted setup to cure him and have him! Thats a $40 decent hospital tank! Well duh ...yes I took it. Now how do I treat him and how bad off is he?
I have Maracyn Two.. is this going to help him?

This is his bad eye

and here is his good side.. (excuse the ugly filter baffle..wasn't easy to baffle his filter. This guy I'm thinking needs NO current while recovering.)
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh my goodness! That poor guy! I'm sorry I have no advice to offer for this but I hope someone does and that you can save him, he'll be beautiful once colored up a little more! I'm so glad you rescued him though!!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #3 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh my goodness! That poor guy! I'm sorry I have no advice to offer for this but I hope someone does and that you can save him, he'll be beautiful once colored up a little more! I'm so glad you rescued him though!!
Thanks! He was always just looking at me like..." please?!?!? I really want to go home with you!" I always felt terrible putting him back. But with the way the store reached out for my help today I had to do it. He is so sweet and so pretty. Looks like one chunk ripped out of one of his pretty white pectoral fins....but his eye really worries me. I want to treat like RIGHT now..lol. Anyone who knows anything..please chime in. I hope he isn't in pain. I feel he trusts I'm gonna fix him and I don't want to let him down.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 
Flapmon

Is it an extreme case of pop eye? .. Or .. He's a gorgeous fish. ;-; Made me all sad with seeing him but all happy to know that they gave him up to you.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #5 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
Is it an extreme case of pop eye? .. Or .. He's a gorgeous fish. ;-; Made me all sad with seeing him but all happy to know that they gave him up to you.
I'm thinking thats what it is . Anyone have advice to a semi newbie on best treatments. I started mild treatment with Maracyn 2 last night but honestly need some step by step "how to medicate your fish for dummies" instructions. I know he can still see and maybe even out of the bad eye because I dropped Omega pellets one on his good eye side and he jumped to it and ate it then I tried his bad eye side and he did the same.. Is there hope for this eye? PLease help!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #6 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
I'm thinking thats what it is . Anyone have advice to a semi newbie on best treatments. I started mild treatment with Maracyn 2 last night but honestly need some step by step "how to medicate your fish for dummies" instructions. I know he can still see and maybe even out of the bad eye because I dropped Omega pellets one on his good eye side and he jumped to it and ate it then I tried his bad eye side and he did the same.. Is there hope for this eye? PLease help!
Just throwing this out there, why not try do a partial water change (20-25%) then treat him with maracyn and maracyn-two for 5-7 days incase it's bacterial or if that doesn't work? Try tetracycline and that's only if you're at your last resort considering the discoloration it causes to the water.

And to prevent a fungal infection add aquarium salt to his water.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

So I should do aquarium salt along with the Maracyn 2? Or is that if I resort to tetracycline? ( I feel retarded.. I can outsmart my exotic vet when it comes to reptiles but I feel lost with this stuff haha)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
So I should do aquarium salt along with the Maracyn 2? Or is that if I resort to tetracycline? ( I feel retarded.. I can outsmart my exotic vet when it comes to reptiles but I feel lost with this stuff haha)

I'd start off with the maracyn and maracyn 2 treatment for 5-7 days, adding the aquarium salt is optional and I'm sure you'll get another betta lover to give more options before you try the tetracycline treatment (if it comes down to that.) The most hardest thing about pop eye is knowing what caused it. It could be fungal or it could be bacterial. There is so many ways to treat it and in the end you wouldn't want to overdose the poor little guy. There's a website that specifies on certain problems betta's have that suggests something entirely different;

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

And in the end what will help is feedback on these certain medications and what works best from personal experiences.

You're not retarded! You're worrying for a poor fish so stress comes into play. I'm probably making it worse by offering so many treatments for his eye, the only time my fish got pop eye was when I treated it with melafix but now everyone here shuns every medication ending with 'fix' for the fear it coats their breathing organ. I'm sure he'll be okay and you'll choose the right thing to do by him. He's still eating, right?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #9 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
I'd start off with the maracyn and maracyn 2 treatment for 5-7 days, adding the aquarium salt is optional and I'm sure you'll get another betta lover to give more options before you try the tetracycline treatment (if it comes down to that.) The most hardest thing about pop eye is knowing what caused it. It could be fungal or it could be bacterial. There is so many ways to treat it and in the end you wouldn't want to overdose the poor little guy. There's a website that specifies on certain problems betta's have that suggests something entirely different;

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

And in the end what will help is feedback on these certain medications and what works best from personal experiences.

You're not retarded! You're worrying for a poor fish so stress comes into play. I'm probably making it worse by offering so many treatments for his eye, the only time my fish got pop eye was when I treated it with melafix but now everyone here shuns every medication ending with 'fix' for the fear it coats their breathing organ. I'm sure he'll be okay and you'll choose the right thing to do by him. He's still eating, right?
Thanks! Yes actually I've been feeding him Omega one and Hikari betta bio-gold and he has no problem eating. I've actually been sinking the pellets on purpose on each side to test his vision and he always notices them :)

I was having trouble gaging proper dosage for his hospital tank so I disolved the packet in this to get exact quantities to dose. Is this alright(I keep so many vet supplies around I may as well use them right ;) ). Do you think it'll stay ok diluted in water or perhaps should I refrigerate it?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #10 
Flapmon

I'm honestly not sure, it should be okay. You should also mix it in with his water just so he doesn't end up swimming into a cloud of the stuff if you know what I mean.