Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #11 
Otterfun

My Nano, PetCo Baby rescue, has same issues, 2 months and had not grown much. S/he swims upright and had problems balancing and would only 10-15 sec and had to go to rest at the bottom before trying aging. it looks strenuous.

I put S/he in a Kritter Keeper with 5" of water, still too deep. But I added 5cc/1g of ES and it seemed to help. But I am worried about using ES as a long term solution.

So I transfer S/he back to Petco cup with 1.5" of water and it seems to work fine, just 2 WC each day. I am thinking of having S/he in a breeder box in the big tank and see if that would work. I sometimes wonder if it is the best for S/he to e in the Petco cup which seems to work fine in terms of depth and swimming space since S/he is only 1/2" long. Any thoughs? I'd hate to euthanize since Nano is healthy with physical challenges.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #12 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
My Nano, PetCo Baby rescue, has same issues, 2 months and had not grown much. S/he swims upright and had problems balancing and would only 10-15 sec and had to go to rest at the bottom before trying aging. it looks strenuous.

I put S/he in a Kritter Keeper with 5" of water, still too deep. But I added 5cc/1g of ES and it seemed to help. But I am worried about using ES as a long term solution.

So I transfer S/he back to Petco cup with 1.5" of water and it seems to work fine, just 2 WC each day. I am thinking of having S/he in a breeder box in the big tank and see if that would work. I sometimes wonder if it is the best for S/he to e in the Petco cup which seems to work fine in terms of depth and swimming space since S/he is only 1/2" long. Any thoughs? I'd hate to euthanize since Nano is healthy with physical challenges.
You're right, epsoms aren't the best long term solution. 10 days SHOULD be the max. If it helps though, I'd use it for the 10 days and see f you can get a permanent change. I don't think that'll really help though as I feel like this issue is more like a swim bladder deformity or something instead of parasitic/bacterial/fungal/etc.
personally, I'd put her into a critter keeper or something with maybe an inc or two of water for now...that'll give her more room horizontally to try and build her strength, then once it looks like she isn't struggling as much add another inch or two of water, wait till you see her not struggling as much again then add more, so on and so forth.
This will help you help her build her strength up and hopefully even if she doesn't get to swim 100% normally, she'll have strength t live out a good quality of life. Think of it as physical therapy.
That's what I did with the girl I'm talking about in the post.
When I first got her I added her and her brother to a 1/2 gallon betta "tank" from Walmart. He swam fine so I knew something was up with her straight away and decided to move him out to something larger for QT and then lowered her water level down to 1/2 of the 1/2 gallons volume.
I let her stay like that for about a week and when I saw her becoming more active the level got raised to the top. After another week I saw her swimming across the whole tank, even though it looked funky, I figured what I was doing was helping. She got moved to a .75 gallon critter keeper and had that filled to the brim as well. She did pretty well in that too after a few days so she is now in a 1 gallon tall bowl, doing really well in this too so she'll be on her way to a 2.5 as viva was suggesting tomorrow.

If you do as I'm suggesting make sure you have some floating or tall leafy plants for her to be able to rest in/on if she gets overworked. You don't want her t stress herself too badly, but you also don't want to make things too. Easy on her. If you do that then she'll likely not get better because she doesn't have to work to do anything!

Whatever you do though, take her out of that cup. Doing so many water changes where you need to do the full amount is going to be much more strenuous on her than it would be to make her go a bit higher for air.

Goodluck! I hope your baby gets better! I just saw a picture if her in the petco baby betta thread! Gorgeous (female VT I'm betting)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote