Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 
bluefish09

Question Black Spot on my Betta?

Hey all, new to this forum since it's provided me tons of answers. But recently I've noticed my Half-moon Betta, Xavier, has been getting strange new markings on his tail, like little black dots or stripes appearing in the mid-section of his tail and slowly spreading to his anal fin.

Xavier has three ghost shrimp tank-mates, but he was already showing signs of these markings before I got them added into the tank.

Tank is a 5 Gallon with Heater and Filter, kept at 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mostly Silk plants, some plastic.

I have yet to buy a pH reader.

I use Stress Coat or Topfin's brand of Betta water conditioner. I sometimes change between the two whenever I do a full water change when he was once kept in a very small container several litres, but it's now used as his QT. But primarily, I uses stress coat, may buy Prime soon as I've heard many good things about it.

He still eats and swims around curiously, flaring normally
not lethargic whatsoever.

I recently placed him into the small Quarantine tank, several litres, little space right now.. and did a full water change in my 5 gallon, but I need to be sure because I don't want to place him back in his home and spread the fungus all over again.

I just need confirmation if this is Black Spot or Ammonia Poisoning.

Thanks!
Attached Images

bluefish09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 
mushumouse

bluefish, how long have you had your betta? those markings on the tail look like the ones my betta got on his fins after i brought him home and had him in a nice heated tank for a couple weeks. bettas can pretty dramatically gain color sometimes, especially when you first bring them home or their diet changes or they just grow and age, and though it's a little difficult to tell in those pictures it looks a lot like it did on my own fish from what i can tell.

if you could fill out these questions from the sticky at the top of the forum it might be easier to rule things out:
Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #3 
bluefish09

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me, I too thought it might be changing as he matures, I've had him for about four and a half months now. He was given to me as a gift, I was told he was bought from PetSmart.

Housing
What size is your tank? - Tank is a 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? - 74-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?- No
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - 3 Ghost Shrimp: Larry, Curly and Moe.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Aqueon Betta Pellets and sometimes Freeze-dried bloodworms as a snack
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once a day with 4 Pellets as 6 would make him bloat a little.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - Once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 25%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Stress Coat or Topfin brand Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? -No

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Xavier's midsection of his tail has changed with small black dots or stripes, spreading to his anal fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Behavior is healthy.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? - About a Week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - I've placed him into a small QT and did a full water change to his 5 gallon tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - No
How old is your fish (approximately)? - Had him for 4 months, may be up to 5-6 months old, not sure.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #4 
mushumouse

yeah none of that looks particularly bad... he's not rubbing himself on the decor and he's eating fine? i wouldn't worry about it too much now. just for general care you might want to keep his tank temp more stable w/an adjustable heater and make sure you're doing 50% water changes every week/100% once a month just for the tank size, but honestly if something was extremely wrong with your water parameters right now i would expect the ghost shrimp to die off pretty quickly, and once weekly is the accepted amount for a cycled 5 gal, and that doesn't have anything to do with parasites anyways. it really just looks like normal coloration to me, especially since it's not just dots but stripes. though anyone more experienced feel free to contradict me.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #5 
bluefish09

Nope, he's not scratching or rubbing at all, the dark colouration showing up past his blue colour just worried me for a bit. But yes, I've been doing the water changes so it all should be alright.

Thanks so much!