Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #11 
moni0310

personally i wouldnt put a goldfish in as a warning system...it sounds very cool and im sure it would be great to be warned if something were wrong with the water, but i would feel bad if the goldfish died because of that
moni0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #12 
crowntail lover

Sounds like she has a great shop going!! We need a place like that in this small town
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #13 
fireburnin2013

does that lady who seems to know everything and has the basement pet shop have a website or an email or something? (:
fireburnin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #14 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni0310 View Post
personally i wouldnt put a goldfish in as a warning system...it sounds very cool and im sure it would be great to be warned if something were wrong with the water, but i would feel bad if the goldfish died because of that
Agreed. It might be fine for the betta, but you're gonna have a sad goldfish on your hands. It'll definitly die well before it is supposed to from being stunted by a small tank. Most of them can grow to about a foot or more. They also prefer much colder water than Bettas.

I think it would make more sense to just test water frequently and occasionally whip out a flash light and look for anything out of the ordinary.

Then again, I have a very special fondness for goldfish, so I guess I'm biased.

Oh, and lastly, goldfish are pretty hardy, really. It seems like they would make bad warning systems.

Although, I guess the babies are much more sensitive, so I guess that might work.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #15 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
I very much disagree on the salt being harmful part, Have seen to much proof showing salt to be very beneficial ,
but in the right ratio of course.

I put Aquarium salt with all my fish :)

I was also told that putting a very tiny goldfish in every tank acted as an early warning system, as they will be the first to show signs of trouble and allow you to catch it before a disaster strikes..
There was no need to add aquarium salt. A person can maintain his tanks perfectly without the need to add salt. I find it IMO a waste of time and money. I prefer to recommend using this for ich cases only, nothing else.

Who told you goldfish can be used as a warning system? If this is the same woman who told you this bunk, then I simply do not believe I would have any business with her. Sorry to say this but it is one of my pet peeves when a fish is used unnecessarily. This is what test kits are here for. Don't rely on your fish to react negatively to do something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekatietwo View Post
Agreed. It might be fine for the betta, but you're gonna have a sad goldfish on your hands. It'll definitly die well before it is supposed to from being stunted by a small tank. Most of them can grow to about a foot or more. They also prefer much colder water than Bettas.

I think it would make more sense to just test water frequently and occasionally whip out a flash light and look for anything out of the ordinary.

Then again, I have a very special fondness for goldfish, so I guess I'm biased.

Oh, and lastly, goldfish are pretty hardy, really. It seems like they would make bad warning systems.

Although, I guess the babies are much more sensitive, so I guess that might work.
I do not believe you are being biased at all. In this case, you are simply trying to be responsible and truthful.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #16 
Red Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni0310 View Post
Usually the fish won't die. I simply shows you a warning sign before it or any other fish die.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #17 
Vikki81207

So I've been thinking about getting a 10 gal tank and putting in a filter, heater and plants. I have my male betta going in there, and I wanted to add a few buddies. Any suggestions? I got a list of compatible fish, but I want to know from other betta owners what fish and other critters work out best.
Thanks ya'll.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Corie catfish work very well with bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #19 
Haeclark

my 15 gal tank housed with guppies, 1 CAE, 1 male VT Betta, 3 crown tail female Bettas, and 1 veil tail Betta is still going well.
:)
it has now been over 5 months since Red Petite Mermaid [female CT] & Blue Bandit [male VT] were placed together, and officially 1 month and 9 days now since the 3 newest gals were added.

Now mind you...not all bettas get along together, and the only successful case of two+ males together was because they were brothers, and living in over a 60 gal tank! Most of the time, especially in small tanks, bettas will try to fight each other. Often why theyre not reccomended to be placed together. However, my fish are not related, and aside from the 3 newest gals, were purchased and added at different times...showing that we are not always right about what we know about fish / animals.

If you want to be risky, Id only do it if you have a backup tank you can put the other fish in if they do not in fact get along or establish a pecking order [when they do this, it is common that a chase or two happens, and even purhaps a peck or two. However, if chasing / pecking continues non stop, then sign that theyre not cosure with each other]
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #20 
Vikki81207

Ok, thanks guys. I've been thinking about female bettas, don't know yet. I just don't want to put him in a 10 gal all alone.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote