Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 
njnolan1

50/50 on betta/betta compatibility

I was just curious how many people have actually kept bettas together improperly, as to the rules of guidance from this fine site, and the outcome?

By improper I mean male + male betta, female with one female, male with one female, etc... Also, how about any luck with male bettas and fancy tail guppies?

I will not chastise you in the least. Would ask that you give detailed advice such as tank size and decor etc... A coworker of mine kept two males together in a 10 gallon tank. They swam side by side their whole lives. A few years at least. I was just curious what luck or there lack of other people have had. Thanks!

For my current fish tank:

I have one crowntail female, 5 endler's, one dwarf gourami and 3 African dwarf frogs in a fully planted 5.5 gallon tank (3 anubias nana, moneywort, superglued marrimo moss on rock decor, floating wisteria/sprite/anacharis, cryptocorne wendtii and hornwort) with a bunch of pest snails and one assassin snail. I know it's overstocked but the water quality is great and they mostly all get along. The female is very friendly with my other fish and she just grazes the floor all the time. The male dwarf gourami is a bit of jerk but he seems to become only food aggressive. When I show my face and he'll swim up from under the hornwort or large anubias leaves and start chasing the other fish who also stop what they're doing to see if I'll drop some food in lol.
I understand that my tank is overstocked but I'm not a newbie and would ask everyone to keep their scolding to themselves. We will all appreciate it :). Thanks.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I kept a male in my sorority tank. He was purchased very young with four other females (I thought he was female at first but then suspected long before he sprouted) and stayed in my sorority for at least a year. Over time more females were added and there were maybe three females that he didn't particularly like. Two were removed from the sorority but one stayed.

Never saw any signs that trouble was brewing until one day I came down and my male was floating at the surface with all his fins and beard torn off, and his body quite damaged.

He was still alive and he held on for a couple of weeks slowly growing his fins back before he passed. I think he must have been injured internally.

Some people get extremely lucky when they keep bettas together in the manner you describe. However, if you read through the posts of people who attempt this, many have not had their tanks running for much longer than a few weeks/months.

It can take a long time before things go wrong. However, when it goes wrong it can go wrong in a very sudden and very horrific manner. I lost an exceptionally nice fish when I could have just pulled him and avoided the entire situation.

Also we never actually do get updates when everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Those posters just sort of drop off the map and we don't hear from them again.

Housing bettas with guppies I think is a case-by-case thing. Some bettas are extremely placid and can tolerate active and colourful tankmates, while others just want to hunt them down and tear their fins off.

One of my males lived with large schools of extremely bright coloured fish and he never bothered them. He did try to eat a couple of my smaller fish once but stopped once he realised they were fish and not food.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 
Lishka

I have a male and female pair in my 55, and have no problems at all. I do think however, that my male betta is very passive compared to other males I have had.
But reading what Little Betta Fish said, I think perhaps I am going to move her as planned into my 40.
Want to keep them safe!!

Thanks LBF!!
Lishka is offline   Reply With Quote