Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Don't get a new filter! Or at least don't throw out your media. This is where all the beneficial bacteria lives. You only ever rinse the filter media out in tank water and never remove it or replace all of it at once as otherwise this will destroy your cycle.

It looks like your tank is cycled based on the readings you have, although the low nitrate is strange. Usually in a cycled tank you would expect to see more.

Can I ask how did you acclimatise your new fish, and do you have any readings for pH or hardness? Neons are softwater fish and so if your water is very hard with a high pH and they weren't acclimatised correctly, they may have died from the shock of the transition.

Otherwise, they might have just been sick in the store.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #12 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbirdsong View Post
Did you clean the tank before you put fish in it? Perhaps the previous owner had some sort of disease and it should have been cleaned.

But some bacteria supplement as well it will help build good bacteria in the new filter.
I did not clean the tank. What kind of diseases could strike tetras? Could it affect my betta/harlequins?

What kind of bacteria supplements should I get?
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #13 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Don't get a new filter! Or at least don't throw out your media. This is where all the beneficial bacteria lives. You only ever rinse the filter media out in tank water and never remove it or replace all of it at once as otherwise this will destroy your cycle.

It looks like your tank is cycled based on the readings you have, although the low nitrate is strange. Usually in a cycled tank you would expect to see more.

Can I ask how did you acclimatise your new fish, and do you have any readings for pH or hardness? Neons are softwater fish and so if your water is very hard with a high pH and they weren't acclimatised correctly, they may have died from the shock of the transition.

Otherwise, they might have just been sick in the store.
I am confused - and sorry for the stupid question, but what is the "media"? I don't know the "anatomy" of a filter just yet.

I placed the fishes' bags in the tank water for 30 minutes before releasing them into the tank. I put the tetras in first, then the Harlequins, then the betta 10 minutes later.

pH was a 7.2.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't bother with bacterial supplements. It looks like your tank is cycled if your results are correct, but I would do a couple of tests over the next few days to see if it wasn't your large water change the other day that has brought your parameters down.

Don't do any water changes for the time being, and if your ammonia or nitrites start to rise, then you know your tank is not cycled.

Neon tetra disease can hit neons, but it has pretty specific symptoms and I don't think it happens overnight.

Media is the sponge/cartridges/ceramic noodles inside of the filter. This is where all your beneficial bacteria lives.

Just floating the bag may not have been enough if the fish were from a tank that had very different parameters from yours. 7.2 is not too high a pH, but generally you should acclimatise fish by slowly adding water from your tank into the bag or bucket they are in over a period of time so there is a slow adjustment to not only the temperature, but the water conditions.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #15 
Graceful

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with bacterial supplements. It looks like your tank is cycled if your results are correct, but I would do a couple of tests over the next few days to see if it wasn't your large water change the other day that has brought your parameters down.

Don't do any water changes for the time being, and if your ammonia or nitrites start to rise, then you know your tank is not cycled.

Neon tetra disease can hit neons, but it has pretty specific symptoms and I don't think it happens overnight.

Media is the sponge/cartridges/ceramic noodles inside of the filter. This is where all your beneficial bacteria lives.

Just floating the bag may not have been enough if the fish were from a tank that had very different parameters from yours. 7.2 is not too high a pH, but generally you should acclimatise fish by slowly adding water from your tank into the bag or bucket they are in over a period of time so there is a slow adjustment to not only the temperature, but the water conditions.
Thanks so much for the info. Earlier, I was planning on buying a larger school of tetras, but I don't want to kill them. I may just go for another kind of fish or get more Harlequins.

I need to go back and buy more plants & a snail anyway. Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I would probably wait a couple of weeks to let your tank settle and to know for certain that it is cycled before adding any more fish.

Then I would probably only add the snail and bump your school of rasbora up to 6 individuals.

A 10 gallon is not a very big tank and with a snail, a betta and a school of harlequins I would say it is fully stocked.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #17 
Graceful

Quote:
I would probably wait a couple of weeks to let your tank settle and to know for certain that it is cycled before adding any more fish.

Then I would probably only add the snail and bump your school of rasbora up to 6 individuals.

A 10 gallon is not a very big tank and with a snail, a betta and a school of harlequins I would say it is fully stocked.
Ok, that sounds good. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #18 
BettaNubRandyLove

The fish you Dont know the name of is a harlequin rasbora
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, mystery fish, new tank, tetras