Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #11 
crowntail lover

OKay the smallest you need to go for a Betta bowl is a 1 gallon (2$ at wal mart) The temp needs to be atleast 72, but a heater isnt needed in a 1-2 gallon (keep room heated). Feed him 3 pellets 2 times a day...You can also feed him bloodworms as well but cut down on the pellet if you do...
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you put water conditioner in the wsater when you changed it? Bloodworms should only be fed as a once or twice a week treat. A good pellet food should be used as his staple diet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #13 
cindylou

betta wont eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettanewbie View Post
I've never had a fish before and want to be sure I'm doing what I should to keep my new Betta happy and healthy. It's only 2 days old, came from Petco, and doesn't look as energetic as when it was in it's pint size container. I have him in a round fish bowl (about 2 1/2 - 3 quarts) with green gravel on the bottom. By the way, are air bubbles on the gravel a sign of anything bad?

I was told to feed him the dried bloodworms every other day and to change the water with tap water (we have a water softener) when it looks like it needs it, about once a week.

So far it hasn't eaten anything that I can tell. Do I change about 50% of the water? We had a cold night and my house temp is currently only 66 degrees. Will my Betta be okay? Should I get a heater? Is it okay to keep a light on overhead for it? Do they prefer smaller spaces? Should I get a plastic plant for it?

So many questions! You're help is greatly appreciated!
HI I have a betta in a dome fish tank that does not have heat. It gets rather cold. I have fed my two betta betta pellets. I just bred my two bettas and they hatched today, yea, they are doing fine. There is no sense in water changes because they breath the air we do. Id put a little aquarium salt in there (very little) . and try some mysis shrimp. If that does'nt work try some betta pellets that stay floatin on the top, bettas are slow eaters and those stick around just floating for a good while. If he's sick the salt should do some good or go buy some marasyn , its an antibiotic. Hope that was some help. OH yea I've never put water conditioner in mine cause they don't breth air in the water and they don't need it, Ive had bettas for twelve years and have never put that in there.

Last edited by cindylou; 05-23-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: misspelled
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Tap water is full of chlorine and chloramine and that is bad for your fish. I don't know how they've lived so long in water that isn't dechlorinated. Water quality is VERY important! Not changing the water is like letting your betta live in sewer water. What goes into the fish comes out of the fish. They poop. Waste creates ammonia which is very toxic to fish. Also, bettas are tropical fish and need temperatures at around 76 to 82 degrees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #15 
Elisew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylou View Post
HI I have a betta in a dome fish tank that does not have heat. It gets rather cold. I have fed my two betta betta pellets. I just bred my two bettas and they hatched today, yea, they are doing fine. There is no sense in water changes because they breath the air we do. Id put a little aquarium salt in there (very little) . and try some mysis shrimp. If that does'nt work try some betta pellets that stay floatin on the top, bettas are slow eaters and those stick around just floating for a good while. If he's sick the salt should do some good or go buy some marasyn , its an antibiotic. Hope that was some help. OH yea I've never put water conditioner in mine cause they don't breth air in the water and they don't need it, Ive had bettas for twelve years and have never put that in there.

The water changes have nothing to do with the air.....how would you like to be in a small area swimming around in your own waste??

I`m sorry but judging by the way you appear to care for your Bettas I personally think they`ve survived more by luck than anything else.

It may just be me but judging by the `tone` of your post....you sound proud of yourself because your Bettas live in cold, dirty water??

Strange

bettanewbie,

It can take a fair few days before your Betta feels comfortable with his surroundings, it`s completely natural although it is worrying for any of us who care about our Bettas.

Using just one of my Bettas as an example......he took a few days to come out of himself and eat anything at all. He was extremely finicky about eating and it took me a while but he did eventually eat and now he`s happy to eat either bloodworms, daphnia or pellets.

I feed all 3 of my Bettas 2 bio gold pellets twice a day.

Remember to remove any uneaten food but do persevere, it`ll be worth it in the end and you`ll enjoy watching him and caring for him.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #16 
crowntail lover

cindylou!!!!
What are you feeding those poor fry.....
Not to judge you but if you dont put conditioner in your Betta's water...YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!! They need it..chlorine can kill a new Betta in 5 mins....I am suprised that they have lived long enough for you to even look at them........Oh and what do you feed you poor adults that made those helpless fry???? Are they dead yet???
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote