Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 
jesspaul

pellet food

I just bought my fish new pellet food because the flakes were making the tank too dirty too fast. I thought they would float like the flakes but they immediately sink to the bottom. They're also too big to be sucked up by the filter so they just sit on the rod that collects the water. I'm kind of afraid my fish will try to eat off of the filter and get hurt or something. Do you think he will eventually eat them out of the gravel or should I just go back to using the flakes?
jesspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What type of pellets are they?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3 
Mr Degausser

There are definitely pellets out there that ACTUALLY float. My bettas have always preferred pellets, while my danios and tetras prefer flakes.

Cheaper pellets tend to sink a lot faster. I try to get my betta's attention before I drop in a pellet right above his head.

But I'm sure there might be better pellets out there for you.
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
dragonx47

Yeah, most pellets do float. You should probably brands. Generally, I've heard that New Life Spectrum and Omega One are best.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #5 
VJM

Some pellets sink if you drop them from a height. Try putting them in gently just above the tank surface.

My vote also goes for NLS or Omega One pellets.

Don't forget to take out any uneaten pellets. They can nasty up your water very quickly. A turkey baster works well.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
jesspaul

Thank you, guys! I'm using wardley betta food pellets. They were really cheap.
jesspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 
dragonx47

Eh....Not a fan of Wardley. They're goldfish flakes also didn't float a long time. Go with a different brand.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 
Kgaz003

Those pellets may not be intended for bettas, or at least are not ideal. Bettas only eat food floating at the top, so it's important to clean out the pieces that sank our have gotten stuck to the filter. Otherwise they will break down and rot in the water, which will bring down the quality of the water, which is a fast track to a sick betta. Some bettas do like flakes, but usually pellets designed for bettas are better for them, don't sink, and don't make a mess in the water like flakes tend to do. There are so many types of pellets out there, and some are better than others, so I know it can be confusing trying to select just the right food for Mr. Betta! Many people here recommend Hikari brand betta pellets, but personally I have had wonderful success with ZooMed micro floating betta pellets (a very inexpensive option you can pick up at Petsmart). My extremely picky eater LOVES them, and they do seem to help make his colors vibrant. One type of pellet I would say to stay away from is Tetra brand betta pellets. They are very big and of very low quality. When in doubt, read the ingredients & avoid the pellets that are mostly "fillers." It is also a great idea to add a little variety to a betta's diet for many reasons, so you may want to consider occasionally giving him a bloodworm or some mysis shrimp as a treat. Most pet stores sell them in a freeze dried form, which (while not the freshest) is probably the most convenient option. It's best to soak them in a tiny bit of his tank water before feeding so they are "rehydrated" and won't swell in his belly after he eats. You are definitely making a smart choice switching to pellets if the flakes are making the water a mess! Give the pellets another shot, and try a different brand. Just be sure to select one that specifically says "betta pellets" or "for betta" and you'll get just what you need-- non-messy food that floats! :)

Good luck, and happy betta keeping!
Kgaz003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food