Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 
love4bettas

Newbie with 10 male bettas

Hi,
I'm Lyn and have a passion for bettas big time. I have actually been reading this board for months and have learned so much. It's because of this board that I learned that putting my bettas in larger tanks I actually have seen their behaviors change from not wanting to do much in a one gallon tank to swimming and playing with the plants and swimming through their ornaments and they are like little puppies. I can't believe that they are so trainable. I read that here and have noticed that they know me. When I go near the tanks they look straight at me and puff out their faces! They get all excited when it's feeding time. I spent the weekend changing all of the gallon tanks to 3 gallon ones and each boy has their own and they love them! They are amazing little guys. My favs are pineapple. Have 4 of those. The other 6 are a different color combos of red, white and blue. I have one big earred, one veil tail, a couple of deltas and the rest half moons.

The tanks are really pretty now and thanks to all the pics posted here and how to divide tanks, there is a wealth of info here. Love reading this forum for hours each day.

I do have one question. I want to use filters in each 3 gallon tank. I have been told by LFS that they don't need filters and the employees who actually have bettas don't use them. I am torn as to whether filters are needed. I wanted to use sponge filters and feed 9 of them off of one pump with the T's. Is this feasable? If so, since all toll the 9 tanks add up to 18 gallons so would I get a pump for a 20 gallon tank for there to be enough power to 9 filters? How would you do it or would you for-go the filters.

I did try the i10's and the flow goes straight down and pushes the particles away where the intake is. Dumb setup for this filter. It's ashame too cause really they would have been perfect. They really worked well for airation but not for actually cleaning anything. I look forward to lots of posts and more reading here. Can't wait to get responses to my question.

I really want to try to breed one day and have been reading up for months but really want to take my time and get situated here since I know I'll have lots of questions.

Lyn

Last edited by love4bettas; 05-06-2013 at 06:09 PM.
love4bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #2 
Auburn Sakura

Hello, welcome to the forum! :D I know I've learned a lot from this site, and it's nice to see others too! I'm not sure about your filter issue, so maybe someone else on here can help with that. :) Oh, I bet everyone would love to see pictures of your Betta fish. ^.^
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Hi Lyn, I'm actually new here too! I have a pineapple too. ( at least i think so) His name is Sunny. :)
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum!

Never trust pet store employees. Some will know what they are doing but the vast majority, especially when it comes to bettas, do not. Sponge filters are beneficial and great for bettas! I would get a pump that has at least four outputs, five would be better. Then you could split each output with a T.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 
love4bettas

Here are some pics

I am horrible with the camera on a good day. Promise better pics as I practice. I have a few pics I'll post since you asked so nicely. Just remember I warned you, they aren't that good. I'll get the hang of it, promise! They are only of the fish. (the avatar is another one of my boys). I'll take more pics of my tanks soon. I just want to add that I want to thank you all for such a warm welcome. I am really looking forward to getting to know you all.
Attached Images

Last edited by love4bettas; 05-06-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Never trust pet store employees. Some will know what they are doing but the vast majority, especially when it comes to bettas, do not. Sponge filters are beneficial and great for bettas! I would get a pump that has at least four outputs, five would be better. Then you could split each output with a T.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. Putting 9 on one pump too much, I guess. How do I know the size of the pump to get?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #7 
Auburn Sakura

Your babies are wonderful, very pretty. ^.^ And I don't think you're that bad with a camera! D:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8 
love4bettas

Thanks for the welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Sakura View Post
Your babies are wonderful, very pretty. ^.^ And I don't think you're that bad with a camera! D:
Thank you for the compliment. This is a very kind forum. Do most owners use filters? I'd love to know. Is there a specific topic where I can look at others setups? I really want my boys to have the best.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #9 
Auburn Sakura

You're welcome. :) And I know, everyone is always so nice on here, it's really heartening. And I think you can mostly fins stuff about setups, in Betta Fish Care, as well as Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats and Accessories. You'll occasionally find people showing off their setups in the Betta Fish Pictures though. As for whether or now most of us on here use filters, I think they do. I know I have a few still water tanks without filters. We would need more money to get a really great setup for all our babies! X,D But for now they seem happy, and as long as their happy, we're happy too. (:)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 
love4bettas

I am so grateful I've found a new type of family to love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Sakura View Post
You're welcome. :) And I know, everyone is always so nice on here, it's really heartening. And I think you can mostly fins stuff about setups, in Betta Fish Care, as well as Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats and Accessories. You'll occasionally find people showing off their setups in the Betta Fish Pictures though. As for whether or now most of us on here use filters, I think they do. I know I have a few still water tanks without filters. We would need more money to get a really great setup for all our babies! X,D But for now they seem happy, and as long as their happy, we're happy too. (:)
I have had every type of pet you can think of and bred each and every one of them from hamsters to large parrots and tropical fish. I've always had to have a project and have one daughter. I'm a single mom for 28 years. There is a point here. I always wanted more children but was unable. Then I found having a pet helped. Then I got another pet of same species different sex, of course, and my breeding of anything I could get my hands on as a pet always had a clutch of something.

I have always had a love of bettas. I actually got my first one about 5 years ago in Seaside Heights. I named him Seaside and loved him so much. He lived for years and out of all the pets I've had over the last 30 years, he got to my heart the most. It was also for sentimental reasons as well and the rest, as they say, is history. I can't see myself ever without a room full of bettas no matter what other pets may come my way but they seem to have given me the contentment I've been missing with all the other pets I've had. Don't get me wrong, I loved every one I ever had but I finally found my babies. As you can tell, I have a passion for these little guys and will do whatever it takes to give them a long and happy life. I will have this forum to help me and share in the special moments I know I will be having with you all. I love reading posts where others have shared their special moments and it so makes me smile knowing that others get so much pleasure and love from their special little boys and girls. Well I'm a rambler and know I need to keep posts short so I will say good night and just ask a question on another post. Thank you again for your comments, opinions, help and most of all acceptance. Good night. Lyn