Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #1 
Ezzie

Cycle in guppy tank, what happened?

So i recently revieved a really nice driftwood piece that i have put into my guppy tank. I had let the wood leech in a bucket of water for about 2 1/2 weeks before putting it into the tank and so far it hasnt leeched anything into the guppy tank, however my problem lies with what happened with my cycle?

I did a really good clean of the tank glass (it was totally over-run with algea) and cleaned only HALF of the gravel as well as cleaned the heater. The filter i gave a little clean (the pipes and the outside of the filter (as well as the sponge that was full of goop)

I kept HALF of the water that was present in the tank before and refilled with this and filled the rest with clean PRIME conditioned water and set the tank up with the plants and the new driftwood, the next day i noticed my fish were looking lethargic.

I did a water test that day and these were the readings:
ammonia: .25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 5ppm

I did a 50% water change and left the tank assuming that it just needs to settle, i did another water test yesterday and im growing more concerned

ammonia: .25 - .5ppm
nitrate: 20ppm

My guppies are looking pretty dull, just crusing around the top almost gasping for air, i did another water change last night (when i did that test above) and have since left the tank.

So whats going on, have i reset my cycle?
Should i leave the ammonia to build or continue with water changes??
Will it ever go back to prefect like it was before i did a big clean??
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 
Ezzie

just did another test and these were the results:

ammonia: .25ppm
nitrate: between 0- .5ppm
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 
Jexx

it may just be a mini cycle from all the cleaning. Keep doing water changes so the ammonia does not go over .25.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #4 
Ezzie

I'm taking some water to my LFS to have it correctly tested :) wouldn't doing water changes remove the nitrate though? I thought that was beneficial?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #5 
Ezzie

I took my water to two different places and both came back the same, slightly elevated ammonia but the rest fine.

one shop suggested i do a 100% water change Typical pet stores, thats probably the WORST thing to do, the second just commented that its low and it shouldnt rise to really risky levels with just 2 guppies in a 10g tank so to preform a 30% change and leave it alone.. mmhm, guppies are still not looking too good but im confident that this is just a mini cycle and all will be good soon and i can restock my fishies again (i gave almost all of them to my mum for her tank :) )
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #6 
Jexx

Nitrates are just less toxic than the other 2. You still dont want them high. The lower the better. The ammonia will hurt your fish though. Do if the are not acting well and there is any level of ammonia, you need to do a waterchange and get it down for the benefit of your fish.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 
Chevko

They just might be stressing because 'OHMYGODDIFFERENTWATER'. I know mine do when I change theirs, though they're excited about the current when I pour in the water. How much Prime did you put in the water? You should use only a small amount in the cap for 10g, and I only use a bit more than enough to cover the bottom of the cap after shaking it to stir things up since I do typically only ~50% changes.
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #8 
Ezzie

I actually discovered that the issue was the ph!
I tested the ph out of curiosity after I did another 15% water change and it was even less then 6! It wasn't even on the chart! I removed the driftwood immediently since that's the only thing new recently added and changed 50% of the water and my guppies are already looking fresher!

I couldn't believe that my new driftwood that had been soaking for more then 2 weeks could make such a massive difference in the ph! It's back in the bucket soaking with boiling water again..
How long should I leave it again? I thought 2 weeks would be enough considering it isn't that big of a piece of wood..