Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1 
Drummer

Exclamation Rookie - HELP with SICK betta

Hails, (not familiar with terms)

My betta 'Ryu' is sick, he is now on quarantine on a 1gal. bowl with a small artificial plant and some gravel. He have a popeye and a bit white bellow the mouth, close to the gills. Also, the fins are shorter and curl in the ends.

I do water changes for him every day, he is eating, and been medicated 3 days till today with API: Melafix. I also simultaneously have filter change and treated the 10 gal. tank with API: E.M. Erythromycin(powder) to have it ready when he gets better..normaly I use the Tetra: AquaSafe Plus. Have to mention that he shares with 5 small Neon Tetras, 1 Albino Rainbow Shark(2 inches), and 1 Chinese Algae Eater(2 inches)..thats "the whole pack".

Now I read about some salt that helps, also that Mardel: Maracyn Plus is good for popeye, but I need some guidance about what to do and not to, what to spect, some preventive routine after sickness. The best Ph level in consideration with the other mentioned fishes and some other water cares.

Thanks for read!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Drummer; 05-07-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Attachment, spelling
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
Shadyr

Melafix is potentially bad for labyrinth fish like bettas, I'd discontinue that. Since you started meds, make sure to finish the course as directed on the packaging.

Adding epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon of water (predissolved) could help with the popeye, once the condition that caused it is cured.

There's a sticky in the Diseases and Emergencies forum that might help too.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #3 
Drummer

So, what should I do after finish the mandatory week of that Melafix? Because saids to extend the period if necesary..Use the Epsom salt and not try another med right?
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 
Shadyr

Melafix is just tea tree oil, I don't see any reason why you would *have* to continue to use it for any certain amount of time.

Your antibiotics, on the other hand, should be completed once started.

I wouldn't double up on remedies, wouldn't want to stress your sick guy out any more than you have to. Once the antibiotic course is done, if his eye still appears swollen, then try the epsom salt in his water.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote