Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Non, now

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Atleast weekly, some partial through week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% or 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and now Bettafix

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Tested a week ago all looked fine but will test again in the am.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slightly clamped anal fin at the top of fin. When I put him in his new 3 Gal tank (the first time with 3 other small fish woops) but then I put him back in the 3 Gal by himself and he shredded his fins? No red or black at edges it just looks like he went from being a veiltale to a crowntail very quickly! Not whole parts of his fins missing, the ends just looked like string.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed really
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Pretty much the day after his new tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Put him in smaller tank with heater with betta fix- worked the first time he healed up no problem, working so far the second time but I am afraid to put him back in his new tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Second time this has happened
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months?

Everytime I try to put my betta in the new tank his fins suddenly shred, the tank has cycled, I had 3 other fish living in it just fine, they are now in a diff tank. I am not sure why/how his fins are shredding and why the one fin is clamped a little (does this take a long time to undo?) as the new tank is in the bedroom and I am sleeping on the couch at the moment (14 year old dog with liver disease can't do the stairs lately so I stay with on couch to be near her ) it is hard for me to see/catch what's going on! I don't know if its the filter, him biting, airstone? (His old tank had no filter/airstone) Any ideas? One sick animal is enough for now

FYI-Everytime he is in his little tank with just a heater and bettafix he heals up okay apart from the clamped fin.

Any help/ideas appreciated
ItGetsBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #2 
Catw0man

Actually sounds more like fin rot than tail biting, but it's hard to say without pics. I would treat him for fin rot (with something other than Bettafix, like API Triple Sulfa or Jungle Fungus Clear).

Any chance you could get pics?
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote