Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #11 
DezernGirl

I found some white "dish pans" at the dollar tree that I am using now. I kind of took this from the bucket idea. I figured since they were white (and only a dollar) they would be perfect! So far, it seems to be working better than the 10 gallon I was using. It was too small to add a heater, but I sat it inside a 5 gallon shallow (about 5 inches tall) clear storage tub, and added a heater to that container. So the breeding section is heated to 80F by the water inside of the other container. When the fry get old enough I will tip them over into the other body of water so they will have more room. Then when they are much older they will be moved onto the 10 gallon, and then to the 30 gallon until old enough to separate. Also, I didn't overdo the hiding places this time. Just a few baby javas to add some greenery, and an upside down terracotta pot. Honestly, my tubs and setup looks kind of like Elitebetta's on YouTube (and not on purpose either actually, haha). I added a large flat IAL and he blew his nest under it. How do I see when there are eggs? Do I put a tiny mirror under the water to view them? I have one of the tiny round mirrors that dentists use to view teeth, lol. Can I sanitise this and use it?

Again, thank you all for your help! I'll report my findings and let you all know if it worked! Wish me luck! I have my Blue Green HMPK pair in there now. Can't wait to see how they are doing when I get off work! Maybe I'll have fry soon enough! *fingers crossed*
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #12 
wish4coner

I use 3 Gallon Rubbermaid containers. I put Bubble wrap around the area where the bubble nest would be, and put a styrofoam cup under it. I have a heater on the bottom, which is set for 82 degrees. I put IAL in and prime. I have the female in a self-made tall cup (QT 52 oz, cut to size), during the introduction stage. I have a moss ball, and a live plant in there as well. I do syphon the areas I can reach, without touching the bubble nest, by using an air pump line attached to a baster. So far, it's worked. And, usually it's the 3rd day where, the nest is established and the female is waiting, where I open it (I have a lid, loosely set on top), and take her out by hand. I then stress coat her, check for injury and then, after isolation, put her back in the tank.

Dad comes out when he is ready--he does same as female--comes over to where I open it. I scoop him out and put the sponge filter in.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #13 
DezernGirl

Awesome! I used Prime and the Bubble Wrap square too next to his floating leaf and piece of styrofoam (he's got a plenty of options, haha). I've never tried it before now but it looks like it would work pretty well! I already had a huge nest next to it after one night. I think it may have done the trick. (:
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #14 
wish4coner

Yay! Good for you! I just had a good spawn for my first try. I counted around 40 but may be more :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #15 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I personally like the shock method but you must be careful. Dnt know if anyone has posted this yet.
The full 2 weeks is required, heavy conditioning and lots of water changes. Introduce the male and female after a week of conditioning for only 15 minutes a day for the second week.
Set up the spawn tank with a bit of IAL extract, a pot or other object for the female to hide behind. Stand it up right so she can't be cornered inside. Float a small piece of styrofoam, taped to the edge. Cover the tank with Syran wrap or a plastic bag. Do not disturb them! add the male and female at the same day. The male should build a bubble nest right away and usually in 24-48 hours you will have eggs in the nest.

Leave the male in until fry are free swimming.
Conditioning properly is very important because otherwise the male will be too aggressive and not care for the fry properly.
The female needs to be very submissive.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote