Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #1 
meganelizabethandiggy

Your thoughts and help please.

I very recently had a beautiful betta fish named Iggy die. He was my pet to keep at school and I was very attached. I've decided I want to get another betta because Iggy was a lot more company than I thought a fish could be. However, I had a couple quesions.
first, I was wondering what different types of bettas there are.
Also, what should I do with Iggy's tank before getting a new fish. I know I need to clean everything very carefully and everything, but what does that entail doing?

thank you for your help
meganelizabethandiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry to hear about Iggy. I thought the same thing before I got my first betta, that a fish couldn't be very good company, but they are! And so easy to get attached to. :) As far as different types of bettas go, there are crowntails, veiltails and halfmoons. Crowntails have kind of spiky looking fins and halfmoons, when their fins are fully extended, the tail is rounded, hence the "halfmoon" name. You can clean the tank with vinegar and water. Use 50% vinegar and 50% water. Just make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse until the smell is gone. I used vinegar and water to clean out my 4 gallon, which I got from a neighbor. Good luck choosing a new betta. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #3 
meganelizabethandiggy

yes, they really are. I used to have hamsters and when I went to school, we were only allowed to have fish so when I got Iggy I wanted something with a personality and something I could get attached to and bettas have way more personality than I thought possible.
I think I want either a crowntail or a halfmoon for my next betta because they look so pretty.
I think we're going to look for a new betta this weekend, will that give the tank enough time to be sitting out?
I've read stuff about using sand instead of gravel in the bottom of the tank. would this work better for my new betta or should I stick with gravel?
the betta will be in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, how many times should his water be changed?
one more question: I have a heater in the tank now from the last few days of having Iggy. We got it because he was sick, but the entire time I had him, I didn't have the heater, should I start the new betta with or without the heater?

thank you again.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #4 
LaniBaby

definitely WITH the heater. Bettas need temps of about 76 to 82 degrees, roughly. You really don't want it to fall below that. I keep my tanks at 80 and they're doing great. They're tropical fish and don't do well at room temperature.
I switched from stones to sand in my tanks recently and I love the sand. I can see everything that falls onto it and I can easily suck it up with a turkey baster, which helps me keep the tanks WAY cleaner than when everything fell between the rocks. I like the sand a lot. So do the fish. They like to touch it.
With 2.5 gallons, you should probably change 50% at least 1 x per week, making sure you vacuum up anything you can see on the bottom. Some people might recommend more frequent changes, but that's probably the minimum. Clean water never hurts, so keep it as clean as you can. I've heard that halfmoons are more delicate that veiltales so you'll really need to keep up on the water changes, in that case. i have a pair of halfmoons myself and I'm really careful with their water quality for that reason.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #5 
meganelizabethandiggy

Okay. I will keep the heater turned on once I clean out the tank and put new water in it.
we use jugs of water right now to change his water, should we be using tap water and just using conditioners to purify it, or is it okay to continue using the bottled water?
The sand sounds a lot more practical. I know Iggy would sometimes just play with his food and he wouldn't eat it and I couldn't catch the food he didn't eat before it settled into the gravel so it would be great to actually be able to see the food once it settled.
how exactly do you vacuum the sand?
I've heard to only change a third of the water, but is it better to change closer to half so it's cleaner then?
and do I leave him in the water when I change him or should I take him out and put him in cup or what?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #6 
meganelizabethandiggy

and how do I make sure not to stress him out when I'm chaning his water?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think any water changes are a little stressful for the fish and I really don't think you can avoid it. Some deal with it better than others. I had one that absolutely hated water changes but I have one now that couldn't care less. Nothing fazes him. Some people use the cups the fish came in to catch him. I use a net. I would avoid a lot of chasing if you can.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

All of mine are used to it... ;]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #9 
meganelizabethandiggy

okay. thank you for the help :)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #10 
crowntail lover

No prob! :]