Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Question 50g sorority, need some advice

Okay so I MAY, be setting up a 50g sorority within the next week. Its gonna be from an established tank that I'm acquiring tomorrow. I'm not sure yet as to what kind of deco is in it (really fancy expencive stuff I'm sure because of who owns it now) but I do know it comes with a stand filter and heater and some sort of tiger fish (grandpa was warned not to let them bite him, whatever that may mean) and an 11" pleco that my gma wants to put in her established outside pond.
So my questions are these:

1) How many females can I put in a tank that big?

2) What all will I need besides the basics?

3) What kinda tank mates can Iook at?
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 
Briz

The max recommended I've commonly heard for a 10 gallon is 6, so you could have 30 females. Can you keep up with that many and handle if many of them are too dominant? You might try a lesser number first and see how it goes. If this tank is planted with live plants, it will be tricky to add new females in the future since it's not so easy to rearrange rooted plants.

You might consider a manageable number of females and a few algae eaters, such as nerite snails or a school of otos.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 
LucidSong

Yeah I was expecting a number like 10. Not 30. XD

I would not even think about getting that many.

I might not make it an NPT tank since its so large (longer than tall) and I like to move stuff around a lot at first. I may just keep it as a fake silk tank. I was thinking otos as well but the best I can find where I live is mystery snails and plecos which wouldn't be too bad but the pleco in it now as I said is nearly a foot in length.

Thank you for the tips.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 
Briz

Yeah, and plecos would prefer fresh vegetables over algae as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #5 
LucidSong

Will do. I won't really know if I can do it till tomorrow but I'm hoping I can. :D

If not I'll just be adding the fish in the tank to my collection of lovelies.

My family said I need to go to AFKA ( Addict Fish Keepers Anonymous)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 
LucidSong

UPDATE:
Okay so my thought 50g turns out to be 80g so. . . I'm not sure I will be making it into a betta sorority. . . It may be just a tad big for that as I'm on a bit of a budget. Not sure what to put in there though. I'm thinking freshwater Angelfish.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #7 
JellOh

You could do a smaller group of females and a large group of schooling fish. I.e 10 females, # Otos, and 15+ cardinal tetra. Unless you've seen a tank with a large school of small fish you can't imagine how beautiful it really is.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #8 
LucidSong

Hmm maybe. But I've also wanted Angels since I was a little girl. So I may do that and I have a 20g comming soon that I can make that into my Sorority.