Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #1 
DefStatic

Is some fin tathering in males expected?

My guy seems fine, but I have noticed he has gotten a little larger, specifically his ventral fins have gotten much larger. But his Anal/Caudal/Dorsal fins have gotten larger, however these three also seem more tattered at the ends. He started to lose color at the tips, and has since regained that.

My pic in my avatar, I see no signs of tattering. But now I see signs at the tips of tattering. And maybe I did not notice before, but a couple of those fins seem to have tears or splits I do not recall.

Is this an issue? Or expected? A sign of a problem? Or a sign I am doing something wrong in his tank?

This is his tank BTW:

DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
TwilightNite

Could you get a close up photo of the tattering you see? It would help because fin tattering can be cause by numerous different things..... Beautiful tank and fish by the way! Love his name!
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 
DefStatic

Thanks! I need to update that sign. I pulled out the Asian Water Fern which is really African Water Fern because it was too slow a grower for a small tank with low flow. I transplanted it to my 30gal at home (which as of now houses only 1 female betta) and they are doing fine. They were the primary cause of my algae outbreaks (other than the one cause out of my hands which was someone ingored my sign that says do not feed the fish and there was 6 or 7 pieces all over the sand uneaten when I was out one day which cause a massive outbreak). The new plants on the right are Wysteria, and he has gone back to enjoying swimming around that area and hanging out by the plants like he used to before the water fern went bad. My swords are still recovering .

I do not know how well I will be able to get him to stay still, anytime I an near he begs for food. I will try to see what I can do or bring in a better camera as well. I am lucky I got the pic in my avatar with my phone as it was.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #4 
aquagreen

My boy seems to have a tattered caudal fin, also, but he was that way when I purchased him at petsmart and it hasn't changed at all. He's a veiltail. He otherwise seems quite happy and healthy, no color loss.
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 
Onigiri Chan

I have this one big eared betta. His ears are always tattered, even though he is extremely healthy. After a while I just stopped worrying about it.
Onigiri Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #6 
Polkadot

Yep it seems to happen now & then with the plumey tailed boys.It can be from the filter flow,playing amongst plants and even from just zooming around fast etc.It happens now & then with my little boys too.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote